mtbr member

Upload Edge 500 Activities to PC problems.

This is bugging the crap out of me. On my laptop at home that is running win xp when I plug it in the PC detects a external storage device. I close out that window and upload to Strava. Everything works fine. But on my PC at work that is also running Win XP. When I plug in the Edge it turns on (it doesn't on my laptop). No "external device" window pops up and I can't upload to Strava. Can't do anything with it.

I thought maybe it was the cable. So I brought in the cable from home and it still doesn't work. Used the work cable at home and it works fine on my laptop. Both are genuine Garmin cables.

On occasion I've had it working here at work with this cable. But it's a 1 in 100 chance that it will sync up.

Any ideas?
    uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

I'm going to guess that your usb port is flaky. Have you tried others? What about other devices in that same port? I have had issues with a specific usb port in the past and it behaves very much the same way.

mtbr member
    I use that port all the time with a flash drive. Works with fine with it. On a side note I have having issues with my mouse that is bluetooth. It uses a different usb port. I'm starting to think there's something funky going on with my usb drivers. I might try to uninstall and then reinstall the drivers.

mtbr member
    Has the office XP Windows got all the latest updates installed?
    Also try the garmin plugged in and do a cold start (not restart) and see if it gets recognized.
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Dummy me! I just realized I had 2 USB cables sitting on my desk. Just realized the one isn't a genuine Garmin cable. If I use the Genuine cable it works like it is suppose to. But I still don't understand why a generic cable won't work as long as it has the same plug.

Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb View Post
    Dummy me! I just realized I had 2 USB cables sitting on my desk. Just realized the one isn't a genuine Garmin cable. If I use the Genuine cable it works like it is suppose to. But I still don't understand why a generic cable won't work as long as it has the same plug.
    some cables are only intended to provide power and not a data connection. the cable for my Forerunner 310XT is like that.