Thread: Which Upgrade?

Grizzly

Which Upgrade?

I have an Edge 305. It has been a good companion, but is starting to show signs of a slow and painful death. One of the regrets I have about the Edge is that it is not wrist mountable. I debated back and forth between it and the Forerunner when I purchased it.

Anyway I have been looking into replacements. I like the all-in-one nature of the FR 405. HR/speed/distance/gps etc. But I am not in love with the short battery time of the Garmin units.

Suunto makes some attractive HR monitors, and they have a GPS unit, but not one that does both.

I have a Vista HCx....

I guess I am wondering if I should stick with Garmin and go for the FR405. The 705 is nice, but I like the easily replaced AA batteries and 24 hour run time with my HCx for serious GPS usage.

Any advice?

I like having everything in one unit., but wonder if maybe I can live without distance and speed data in favor of just a HR monitor that I don't have to charge every night.

Thoughts?
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

GeoMan
    IMHO, a 705 with a battery extender.

If you hike on foot, keep the HCx, otherwise, sell it on eBay and put the proceeds towards the 705.

I migrated to the 705 just last month. It solved all my issues with the 305 (i.e. mapping). I love the thing and I've used the 60CSx and Vista HCx in conjunction with my old 305. The 705 is better and easier.

I'd never ride an MTB with a wrist-mounted Forerunner. It would be getting caught on branches and getting scraped across rocks. Might not be the case with you but I'd feel distracted.

My 2 cents...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Grizzly
    Which battery extender do you recommend?

Are you getting the claimed 15 hours of run time with the 705? And it looks like te HCx and the 705 have the same screen size and resolution. I am very impressed with the screen on the HCx, how do the two compare?

Thanks.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Dangit man! I was just contemplating adding a 60CSx or Vista to go with my 305, now your saying the 705 works as good as the 2 combined?

I'm starting to lean toward the 705 again now that it seems all of the mapping units have basically the same feature set with respect to the map. And most of the map work is done external to the unit.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    Dangit man! I was just contemplating adding a 60CSx or Vista to go with my 305, now you're saying the 705 works as good as the 2 combined?

I'm starting to lean toward the 705 again now that it seems all of the mapping units have basically the same feature set with respect to the map. And most of the map work is done external to the unit.
    Yep, the 705 combines everything in one unit. I love mine. Two days ago I was on the trail and I came across a couple of hikers who were trying to figure out where they were. I almost forgot that I had a trail and topo map with me, on my 705. We sat down and found their way out very easily using the 705. It was an "aha" moment for me though I used the mapping feature frequently before... The 705 is a real mapping GPS.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    OK, I'm sold. 705 is next on my list of gadgets...

GeoMan
    You'll love it.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    GEOMAN: probably a dumb question for you but....... Does the City Navigator SW help at all for mountain biking or should I go for the Topo maps? I think I remember reading that a previously mapped ride can be imported to the 705 so you can get directions to your favorite trails and the trails will show on the Topo map. Is that correct?