Thread: Trimming a ride

mtbr member

Trimming a ride

Hey ya'll. I've been using a Garmin 705 over the last 2 weeks and I really like it. Question though, is there a way to trim the start and finish off a ride on garmin connect? I usually start my rides right where I live and would prefer for someone to not see that (hey, there are a lot of wackos out there). I don't want to wait till I get to the trailhead to start though or finish there because then I lose the HR data on the trip from/back to home.

So far I really like the computer information, but am struggling with trying to upload maps to it. My unit was purchased through REI when they had that deal including city maps (which I don't need). I need more topo info as I'm just getting into mtb and seeing the upcomming contour lines would be a huge help. I've now bought TopoFushion Pro, but so far can't figure out how to get the maps into the gps.

Thx. BTW, Slocaus - you're the main reason I bought this, after seeing all you've posted. Thank you, because this has not dispointed one bit!

1: Garmin Connect does not allow you to trim bits off your ride. Sporttracks does. Other programs will work, too, but not Garmin Connect and apparently not Garmin Training Center, either.

2: Topofusion does not put maps into the GPS (even though it is very good for visualizing). Maps need to be in Garmin's .img format, which is vector graphics only. www.gpsfiledepot.com maps will transfer to your Edge, but you need a program that can handle them. I use Mapsource since I have it already. Not sure what other programs can handle that as I don't use them. Since you got the City Nav maps, you at least have Mapsource which will handle gpsfiledepot maps easily.

3: If you aren't really good at reading maps and using a compass already, I strongly suggest learning. The GPS tech builds on many of those basic lessons, so if you learn with a map & compass, most of that knowledge can be transferred over to a GPS very easily.

trail rat
    Zudnik, you are welcome. If you get the use and satisfaction from yours as I do mine, you will be happy.

For trimming tracks, I find it easiest in MapSource, and almost as easy in TopoFusion, however TopoFusion will be your choice to preserve fitness data.

MapSource will only save tracks in the proprietary Garmin format of .gdb (not used by anything else that I can find) or the open .gpx format, however it does not keep heart rate or cadence data. So MapSource will not be the program you want if you want to preserve fitness data. TopoFusion can save tracks in .gpx or the .tcx format that will keep heart rate and cadence data as well as the GPS data.

Then you will need to upload that trimmed .tcx file to Connect. I have only tried uploading a really old .gpx file to Connect once, and it failed, even though it would open fine in TopoFusion or MapSource, so you are on your own there.

I do the same and ride from home, but I have the killer braut to protect me; old, blind, and toothless, she would gum them to death if they trespass, or help them if they have a dog biscuit.

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Just a note...I just downloaded the Topofusion trial to see if it'll satisfy some needs. It makes editing tracks and trimming bits off pretty easy. I am pretty sure this will be worth buying the full version.

Plus, it satisfies another want of mine by providing a topo overlay as well as aerial photos. Not many programs will do both.