Thread: Trimble Juno ST

mtbr member

Trimble Juno ST

I just purchased a very lightly used Trimble Juno ST from my employer at a screaming deal and am curious if anybody has any experience with these units. My plan is to primarily use this for mapping trails, not for navigation, so the unit will spend most of the time sealed from the elements in my hydration pack. Has anybody used the Juno with the external patch antenna?

I did about 6 years of GPS data collection, so I am very familiar with the TerraSync software that comes with the unit. I am much less familiar with what programs are available for downloading the ssf file and working with the data. I have access to all of the ESRI products at work, but I think they would be overkill for what I want to do. I will probably use the work software to do the diff corrections, but that's about it. Ideally I would like to come back from a ride, download the GPS data, overlay it on a 24k topo or aerial photos and then annotate maps that I can then print out.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by molastotown
    I just purchased a very lightly used Trimble Juno ST from my employer at a screaming deal and am curious if anybody has any experience with these units. My plan is to primarily use this for mapping trails, not for navigation, so the unit will spend most of the time sealed from the elements in my hydration pack. Has anybody used the Juno with the external patch antenna?

I did about 6 years of GPS data collection, so I am very familiar with the TerraSync software that comes with the unit. I am much less familiar with what programs are available for downloading the ssf file and working with the data. I have access to all of the ESRI products at work, but I think they would be overkill for what I want to do. I will probably use the work software to do the diff corrections, but that's about it. Ideally I would like to come back from a ride, download the GPS data, overlay it on a 24k topo or aerial photos and then annotate maps that I can then print out.

Thanks for the help!
    I've used the Junos in the past. IMO, they're not that good. I haven't used one with the external antenna, but without it they are MUCH less accurate than my Garmin 76CSx, even counting differential corrections via post-processing the .ssf files. My university bought a bunch of them, and after my experience with them, my advisor went and bought nicer receivers for all his advisees to use.

I have only used Trimble's extensions for Arc to process the .ssf files. I am not aware of any other programs that can do this.

The ONE thing these things excel at is when editing data in the field. Say you've got a .shp file or geodatabase of your existing trails and you want to update your files with new data from a reroute or an addition. I'm sure you're aware of what the Trimble can do in the field. Now, another note...I've only used it with ArcPad. Obviously, you're going to get a lot of functionality out of that. I am unaware of what other programs would work on this thing.