mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Transfering files with Edge 705

First off, thanks to those who commented on the amount of storage space on the Edge. I went for an 8 hour ride on Saturday and had it set to record every second. I had PLENTY of space on that sucker to save the ride. The file is actually 5mb with a total of 500mb being able to be saved on the gps.

On to today's question. How do I transfer that big file over? Every time I plug the unit into the computer and hit upload on the connect site, it just sits there and idles. I am pretty impatient, so I figured I would wait longer, letting it sit there while taking a shower, then made a phone call, and did some more things. It has been about an hour now and nada. It just sits at that same screen. Yesterday, I tried to do a manual upload and after a while, the connect site said that here was an error of either me not being logged in properly, or server issues. Either way, nothing worked. Any thoughts on this one?

Something else that is a tad different. Before the long ride, when I plugged it into a computer, it just went to the computer transferring screen on the unit. Now when I plug it in, it turns the unit on. When I turn it off, it charges. When I turn it off again, THEN it goes t the transfer screen. Any idea what I would have done to make the change?

Thanks in advance....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Garmin Connect has been a little flakey of late: it's been slow in general since the recent upgrade, and I've been logged off or timed out a few times (as if I sat idle too long), that might be part of the problem.

My laptop uses Ubuntu, so the only way I can upload is manually, but I've never had a problem with uploading. (I'm not sure how frequently my 705 is recording, but my rides usually last about 2-3 hours, so your files are probably bigger. I'll take a look.)

My 705 turns OFF when I plug it into my laptop, but shows up as a mass storage device on my computer, and charges just fine.