mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trans North GA navigation question

I am putting together a Trans North Ga. trip using the race route; I have the cue sheets printed off and have been reading some ride reports to plan it out. I am going to pick up an Etrex 20 for navigation. While reading the blogs, I have noticed that some GPS users had some issues with downloading the entire route to their GPS. Apparently, when they attempted to use the loaded data, they would receive error messages such as “route truncated,” etc. I noticed on the route page that they have provided separate packets of data for sections of the route. My question is do you down load these as separate files to the unit and then retrieve them as needed? Will this avoid the previous issues?

Thanks
    B

That's the basic idea. There are limits on .gpx files (number of points) for Routes and Tracks. It's VERY easy to blow up those limits for a large Track, especially. Breaking the file up into more manageable segments with the same point density as the original is one way of pulling this off. Depending on the file, and the computer software you have, you can convert a Track to a Route, which provides navigation on your GPS that is similar to the way a cue sheet is structured and simplifies the file to fit within the device's requirements for the file. It's still possible, if there are a LOT of turns, that a Route may be too large to fit as a single file. If that's the case, the only option is to break it up into segments.

If the provider has already broken the file up, then they've decided that this is the easiest way for them to deal with it, and using those files is probably going to be the easiest for you to deal with it. Hopefully the files are split at common-sense locations, like somewhere you might stop for lunch or stop for the day, rather than in the middle of a long stretch of road/trail such that you have to stop and fiddle with the GPS to get it navigating the next segment in the middle of nowhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Nate! More information than I expected, and all of it much appreciated. You not only answered my question, but I feel as if I have grown intellectually.