Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008

New question here. Trail ready computers?

Is there a cycing computer ( I'm just looking for standard features such as speed, distance, time, etc) that holds up well to hard, off-road riding?

It seems to me that every bar-mounted computer I've ever owned lasts only a few months before I snag it on something, forget and flip my bike over to work on the chain, or just a minor crash, and it's broke.

What works best?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Cateye Strada Wireless?

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, you've been having good luck with it?

It kinda just seems like the same old thing to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Have you tried a stem mount? Keeps the thing protected a bit more. I liked my Topeak 150 before I swithed to Edge 705. It was tough, simple, and readable.

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008
    The Topeak 150 is a good choice since it's cheap so just replacing it when you crash is resonable.

There is no way I'd put an Edge705 on my mt. bike, it'd last about a day.

mtbr member
    Sure, it's basic, I guess i thought that's what you're looking for. Being wireless, there's precious little to break and it's feather-light. Occasionally a stick will get caught in the front wheel and whack it out of radio alignment but other than that it's been great.

I've toyed with the idea of a Garmin 605 but by the sound of reviews, I think I need to wait until the bike GPSes mature a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Trail
    Thanks, you've been having good luck with it?

It kinda just seems like the same old thing to me.

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I like the features it has, but it's mounting and interface are what "seems like the same old thing." My computers always break at the plastic mount, or sometimes the glass LCD will crack. The wire and the sensor have always held up nicely -- so I'm not sure that wireless is the answer. There are a whole new set of problems with a wireless pickup.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Trail
    Is there a cycing computer ( I'm just looking for standard features such as speed, distance, time, etc) that holds up well to hard, off-road riding?

It seems to me that every bar-mounted computer I've ever owned lasts only a few months before I snag it on something, forget and flip my bike over to work on the chain, or just a minor crash, and it's broke.

What works best?

thanks.
    I've found the Planet Bike 5.0 or 8.0 Bicycle Computer well designed, a bit more rugged than the Cateye Enduro, IME. One other thing that helps is to leave the bar mount clamp loose enough so the unit can rotate instead of snapping off. This is a wired unit, btw,
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008
    Thanks bsieb,
    I've never heard of Planet Bikes before, they have an intersting company philosophy.
    I'm going to look into more of their stuff.

Max

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll throw in a vote for Sigma Sport. I'm on my second (only because I misplaced the first) and I haven't had a problem with it since in the year and a half I've had it, haven't even had to replace the battery yet. They mount with big rubber O-rings so that should give you the snag resistance you want.

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for your Positive comments (hahaha, math jokes)

I looked around their website but couldn't find a picture of how the device mounts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's a Link to the pdf instructions for my model, and they all mount basically the same. There is an adhesive pad on the bottom of the comp mount, but I leave the paper over it so it can turn if struck by something.

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008
    seems a reasonable way to mount.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yeah, i've been using sigma sport for 5 years...i love there computers, the higher end ones have a ton of functions...they have larger digits than others...one downside is that the wire is crazy skimpy...ive broken several...but yeah, the computers just keep on ticking
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006