mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Too many options!

Holy crap, there's a lot of GPS's out there. What I'm wondering, is there a GPS unit available that:

1. Has built in maps (street maps - I'd like to be able to use it in my car as well as on the bike)

2. Knows elevation (so I can see how much climbing I did)

3. Mapping that can be overlaid onto Google Maps (or earth, pref. Google Maps tho)

A handle bar mount would be nice, but isn't necessary as it'll spend of of the time in my hydration pack.

Anyone know of something that will do all of that, or at least something close? How much is it going to cost? Thanks for any help/advice!

1. Only outdoor GPS I know of that comes with routable streetmaps is the Delorme PN-20, and I have read on here that it's not great for road use.

2. Lots of GPSes will tell you elevation. How much error are you content with? Every GPS will calculate altitude if satellite reception is good enough, but there are many possibilities for error. Some GPSes will measure it with a barometer (the ones with a barometric altimeter), and this method has less error, but frequent and accurate calibration is essential.

3. As far as I'm aware, all GPSes will output in a file format Google can handle. Use motionbased and it'll get put onto Google maps for you.

In the end, your criteria have eliminated a lot of good GPS receivers from the mix. If you allow yourself to buy additional autorouting software for a GPS, then you add a few more into the group (Garmin 60/76 series).