mtbr member

Thinking about a 305 bundle...how does it do in heavy tree cover

I currently have a Forerunner 305 that I really like but it doesn't do too well in heavy tree cover. Does anyone know how the Edge 305 works in heavy tree cover? Running trails mostly and it will drop every know and then. We ride in the same type of terrain, so I am wondering if the Edge 305 is any better. I would think it is not 'cause it the same chipset as the Forerunner.

Thanks

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Maybe you're right. I am pleased with the edge thought. It is so much better than the geko I had previously. That thing couldn't track worth a cr%p on a cloudy day, much less in tree-laden environs.

Quote Originally Posted by jamorgan3777
    I currently have a Forerunner 305 that I really like but it doesn't do too well in heavy tree cover. Does anyone know how the Edge 305 works in heavy tree cover? Running trails mostly and it will drop every know and then. We ride in the same type of terrain, so I am wondering if the Edge 305 is any better. I would think it is not 'cause it the same chipset as the Forerunner.

Thanks

I haven't heard of any problems. My cancer recovering self can't go ride right now, but my Edge (705) picks up a signal in the house. I have to turn the GPS off when I ride the trainer or my data will be all F'd up, because the GPS says I haven't gone anywhere when the thing should be using the speed/cad sensor indoors, anyway.

The Forerunner could well have troubles because
    1: it's smaller than the Edge and therefore the antenna would be smaller.
    2: it's on your wrist so the antenna isn't ideally positioned.

trail rat
    Three plus years with a 305 and now six months with a 705, and here in central coastal California with trail cuts on the north side of very steep oak covered hillsides and I never loose signal. In the open I see accuracy of 8-10 feet most times; in the tough conditions of north slope (remember that geostationary satellites are to the south) and heavy oak tree cover, it might drop to 15-18 feet accuracy.

This fire road ride goes up through those trees to the right. South is to the right and north to the left. Note tree cover on north slope, open grassland on south slope.

The only place I ever loose signal is in a multilevel parking structure or under a freeway overpass if I stop for a minute or two to get out of the sun, but that is another story.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    The only place I ever loose signal is in a multilevel parking structure or under a freeway overpass if I stop for a minute or two to get out of the sun, but that is another story.
    With the 705 and Forerunner 305 or are you saying the 705 has better signal compared to the Forerunner 305 you used to use?

EDIT: Crap, think you meant Edge 305. Sorry for the confusion.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by ejfiii
    EDIT: Crap, think you meant Edge 305. Sorry for the confusion.
    Yes, Edge 305 and Edge 705. OP was asking about Edge 305, not Forerunner series.

I have a friend with the Forerunner 305 and he does not get near as accurate a reading and does loose signal in tough coverage areas. This is likely due to the antenna differences between the Edge and Forerunner series, since all the functions are the same, i.e. Forerunner 305 vs Edge 305; differences are in form factor with smaller size / smaller screen / smaller antenna.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have the Edge 305 Bundle and I haven't had it cut out on me. 5 miles of my commute home are under dense tree cover in a "canyon" and it still picks up signal.

To give you a sense of the area I'm talking about. Just turn on satellite view and/or terrain view and street view on Pinehurst Road near Canyon, CA to see what I'm talking about.

View Larger Map

mtbr member
    I have an Edge 205 and I am very happy with its overall reception and tracking. I usually keep it in my camelbacks mesh or in a camera case strapped to its shoulder strap. Basically it is not optimally placed as if it were on my bars.

Trackwise it takes the best out of my small arsenal of GPSs
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community