mtbr member
    May 2009

Which of these computers is better?

Newbie trying to pick out a bike computer. Both of these have 120+ reviews on Amazon with a 4 star rating but the Cateye is almost $40 where the Schwinn is only $10. I don't know much about them but I'm looking for something reliable that can get bumped around on some trails and survive.

The Amazon descriptions don't tell much, not even what all the functions are. It looks like the Schwinn tells the temperature, which is pretty cool.

Cateye 10 function

Schwinn 17 function

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I have no idea about the durability of the schwinn, but my cateye has worked well for years. I believe (cant really tell on the schwinn, but hard to believe they wouldn't mention wireless if it was) the main difference is the cateye is wireless, that is the sensor on the fork that reads the magnet rotating on the wheel does not have a wire going up to the display unit, its sends it "wirelessly". The advantage there is no wire to get snagged on stuff going through the woods. Ive never had a wired unit last more than a month or two before it got ripped off on my mtn bike, commuter/road bike, totally different story.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info... How long is the battery life of your Cateye?

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    theres actually two batteries, one in the sender and one in the display (same model). they have typically lasted me about a season