mtbr member

Tanita scale reading to Edge 705?

While on Garmin connect I saw that they advertised this scale :
    http://www.tanita.com/en/bc1000/

can send your measurments to your Garmin and then your garmin when connect to your PC uploads it to garmin connect...pretty cool I think.

They say it's ANT+ compatible, so, it should work with the Edge 705, but they only list the 800?

Anyone tried it?

it doesn't work with the 705. I have the scale (and I had a 705 for awhile while I owned the scale) and it does not communicate with the 705. It theoretically could, I suppose, if Garmin wrote that functionality into the firmware, but they never bothered.

FWIW, I love the scale even though it doesn't communicate with GC directly. I just use it with the software it came with. I've heard some talk about TrainingPeaks adding support for it, but I didn't look into it more. Just a word of warning - even though it says it has special feet for use on carpet, they don't really work that well. The scale still reads off on carpet. You need to put it on a hard surface. I suppose if you set it on a board on a carpeted floor it'd work fine, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Withings WiFi Body Scale

While looking at DC Rainmaker's review of the Garmin Edge 800, I noticed that he also recently reviewed the Withings WiFi Body Scale, Ant+ compatible. It seems the Withings is far less expensive than the Tanita, and also is loaded with options. Amazon is selling the scale for $159.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/05/w...th-review.html

I just spent some time reading about the withings scale, and it seems to calculate fewer metrics than the tanita. The variety of software you can use it with is much more extensive, though, and I appreciate that.

still, I'll be sticking with my Tanita. I've been happy with it, and it seems that though Garmin doesn't seem to be interested in allowing direct communication with the scale, there seems to be some interest elsewhere (I've read some rumors that TrainingPeaks is interested in offering support on DCRainmaker's site...he also says elsewhere that Tanita is working on some sort of ANT+wifi adapter).

mtbr member
    Sorry to bring up an old thread. Thought about getting this scale to further track my progress in training. I am worried about its accuracy and have not found any definitive answers. Maybe it would'nt matter as long as its consistant with itself. Would you recommend the scale NateHawk and how has it held up in the time since you had it (any issues)?

Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread. Thought about getting this scale to further track my progress in training. I am worried about its accuracy and have not found any definitive answers. Maybe it would'nt matter as long as its consistant with itself. Would you recommend the scale NateHawk and how has it held up in the time since you had it (any issues)?
    The scale has worked well for me once I figured out to ALWAYS use it on a hard floor. Even with the carpet feet on it, it is not accurate on carpet. If you only have carpet, you'd probably be better off putting it on a plywood platform.

I am still on the original set of AA batteries I started with...more than 1.5yrs after setting it up. If that doesn't speak to the low power use of this scale, I dunno what does.

Be aware that you need a plan for reading measurements from the scale. I use mine with my desktop computer, so I keep it in my office. I place it on the tile in the hallway when I want to use it and the range it transmits is maybe 10ft to the USB stick. Never had trouble with it transmitting that far. You have to initiate the scale with the software if you use your computer, so you have to go back and forth between the computer and the scale.

I am not sure how it works if you use a compatible Garmin, since I don't have one. I also do not know how it works if you have one of the remote digital screens. Either way, you need to plan for how you want to read the measurements off the scale.

If I were to do it again, I'd get the Withings scale. It's more versatile and is supported by many other software companies and websites. Trainingpeaks told me once that they were working on Tanita bc-1000 support, but they still don't have it. With the Tanita scale, you're roped into their software or the Garmin Connect site (if you have a compatible receiver). That's all.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I have the edge 800, but I mainly want it to fill in the information on Garmin Connect since I use that to track all my rides and what not.
    Appreciate the reply.