mtbr member
    May 2007

Swiss Army GPS...

Hello all and thanks in advnce for your help. I have been given clearance from the tower AKA the ok from my wife to search for and aquire a GPS that is suitable for mountainbiking, hiking, geocaching, plotting routes, etc. Basically do it all. Can you guys give me suggestions ffor which GPS units are best for these uses and possibly keep the cost below $400? I have been looking around and I really like the Garmin Colorado 400 but it is so pricey and I have heard of the software being buggy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LR7

mtbr member
    Garmin Edge 605?
    I just got one for my birthday - love it.
    You see a lot of talk here about the 705 - the 605 is the same but without cadence and heart monitor (if you wanna get some more info on it here)

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Edge-Bi.../dp/B000VRFXC2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow that is a nice GPS jdr. Please give me impressions of it!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Take a look at the Garmin eTrex Vista or eTrex Legend. I have a Vista and use it for hiking, mountain biking, and car navigation. The Colorado 400t is significantly more expensive than the eTrex units, but comes with preloaded with topo maps. If you want topo maps on the Vista, you'll have to purchase them separately, so figure that into the price. Neither unit comes with highway maps, so figure that into the total price too (if that's of interest).

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    I've had a Garmin 60Cx for 3 years now and I still love it. Software is totally fine. This thing has been through a lot, and there is not one single scratch on the glass - I don't know how they make glass that tough.
    I use it for driving directions, MTB riding, geocaching, everything. It's always with me.

I also just bought my dad an etrex, which does basically the same but in a smaller package. If I were to buy a GPS today I'd buy the eTrex. It was about $250 here in Canada.

Both are great for geocaching, mapping, driving, and everything you'd ever need a GPS to do. Love the Garmins! My buddy has a Magellan that I don't like at all.

Edit: Forgot to mention maps.
    If you can find someone that already has the maps, you can just get them to write the ones you need to a memory card for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LocalRiderSe7en
    Wow that is a nice GPS jdr. Please give me impressions of it!!!
    Oops - when I was reading your first post, I somehow missed geocaching etc and only queued into mountain biking.

The 605 is great for biking and maybe hiking, but it's feature set is tweaked for bike training/tracking and it would actually NOT lend it self well to geocaching.
    It's very small and fits on the bike great, but for hiking I'd you'd be better off with something that has a slightly larger screen.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok everyone, thanks for all the advice. I have basically narrowed my choices down to the Garmin GPSmap 60csx or the Colorado 400t. Any feelings on which is a better unit overall?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by LocalRiderSe7en
    Ok everyone, thanks for all the advice. I have basically narrowed my choices down to the Garmin GPSmap 60csx or the Colorado 400t. Any feelings on which is a better unit overall?
    Colorado has hardware and software problems, such as leaking water around the battery cover. Word was that Garmin stopped shipping due to major problems. Search "colorado" in this forum, or scan back a few months to see the posts about problems. I've had a 60CSx for about three years and it is solid in all ways.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Masher
    Aug 2007
    DeLorme PN-20 is worth checking out. (yes I'm a fanboy). DeLormes mapping is the best. Looks like a PN-40 is in the works for a fall release...

g3h6o3
    I bought a 705 2 weeks ago and I'm totally pleased with it. I use it as a car GPS, road bike training computer/GPS, to map trails on my XC and DH bike and also when walking around the city going to an unknown place and it does everything well. The screen isn't really big but it's clear and easily readable. I don't really know anything about geocaching though and what the requirements would be but I think it's probably good enough since when navigating, the text is easy to read. I've got absolutly no complaint so far but I'm still exploring.. or I wish I was but I broke my collar bone and I'm out for a couple weeks!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.