mtbr member

Street maps for road rides?

OK, I'm looking for street maps for my Edge 705 which I can use for road riding on some rural roads. I've looked at the free maps at GPSfileDepot, and they just don't seem to have the street details. I've looked at the samples from Garmin for Streets NT(?) and they don't seem to have it either. I don't think the street detail I'm looking for is that obscure based on the fact I can easily see it via something like Google maps.

Am I missing something here in order to get this type of street detail on my 705?

Thanks in advance!!
    '10 Santa Cruz BLTc
    2009 LOOK 585 Optimum

Garmin City Navigator is pretty much your only choice for autorouting. I have it and it works fine for me. Things can get a little squirrely on freeways and other deep urban areas with high development density, but I wouldn't be riding a bike there, anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Roll your own. Download the Ibycus maps (both street & topo available) for starters. Create a route in bike route toaster, gpsies, mapmyride or similar programs/sites. Simply export to your Edge. It's actually quick and fun to create your own tracks & routes.

The combo of the Ibycus maps and the aforementioned tools can fit most any need and the price is right!

Yeah, but no autorouting with the free maps. Gotta make that part clear.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by cnewsome69
    OK, I'm looking for street maps for my Edge 705 which I can use for road riding on some rural roads. I've looked at the free maps at GPSfileDepot, and they just don't seem to have the street details. I've looked at the samples from Garmin for Streets NT(?) and they don't seem to have it either. I don't think the street detail I'm looking for is that obscure based on the fact I can easily see it via something like Google maps.

Am I missing something here in order to get this type of street detail on my 705?

Thanks in advance!!
    I find the Ibycus map incredibly detailed with streets, names and features. What are you missing? You have to upload the individual sections you want and then the larger basemaps for names, features, etc.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    You can pick up an car GPS pretty cheap nowadays and the bike mount was less than $20. I use mine on the road, but the only downside is battery life. The battery can only last for a 3 hour ride (screen on the brightest setting).