sheep in FOX clothing

Stravacide: The full version.

We've all heard the short version of this story.

Well, here's the really, really long version.

The Strava Files by David Darlington | Bicycling Magazine

Confession: I didn't actually make it though the full thing.

psycho cyclo addict
    It is sad that these individuals lost their lives due to a competitive obsession.

Strava encourages consumers to train harder and some take it to extremes. I agree that the company should not be held liable for that.

Strava is definitely not for me. I laugh at the few riders I know who gleefully come to a grinding halt at the end of a ride in hopes that they've earned an award of some sort or another

I'm fine with people having at it in competition- just please do so on an appropriately marked race course where everyone (including other riders, spectators and innocent bystanders alike) is fully aware that wild eyed adrenaline junkies are going to come flying around turns and bombing down hills !@#$%^&*

I haven't encountered any StravAholes on trails thank goodness.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I read the entire thing. I found it odd how they make out Kim Flint to be the greatest then pointed out how he was a newbie jerk who tried to top a seasoned pro (I'm paraphrasing the tone of the article, I never knew the dude) *edit - I should be nicer when I paraphrase*. They also pointed out how smart he is like that makes him immune to making bad decisions.

The best part of the article was where the judge rules against Kim Flint's parents without thinking it over. Cycling is dangerous and if you're an adult on a bike you are responsible for your actions regardless of what software you are running. This Judge says don't blame Strava and I agree.

I shoot for PR's but I don't care about any trophy icon. The reward is knowing you're improving and seeing how well your skills stack against others.
    Last edited by derekbob; 10-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Strava is guilty of helping to goad the overcompetitive to take increased risks to get their KOM's. That's about it. I don't think there's legally anything wrong with that, because it comes down to personal responsibility. Would we be having this same discussion if some overweight, middle-aged newbie had a heart attack trying to take a KOM on Alpe d'Huez? Same basic idea - excessively pushing one's limits. It's a lot easier to break traffic laws on a downhill than it is to ride yourself to cardiac arrest, though.

I do think you missed to characterization of Kim Flint, though, derekbob. I think the way he was characterized presented him as a man who starkly contradicted himself. He had this very high intellect, but he had an enormous immaturity, as well. He also changed during the course of his use of Strava. He was originally not very competitive, but Strava encouraged a deep competitiveness in him that he had never expressed before. That's all it was. Sounds to me like it went so far for him as to be an addiction.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Strava is guilty of helping to goad the overcompetitive to take increased risks to get their KOM's. That's about it. I don't think there's legally anything wrong with that, because it comes down to personal responsibility. Would we be having this same discussion if some overweight, middle-aged newbie had a heart attack trying to take a KOM on Alpe d'Huez? Same basic idea - excessively pushing one's limits. It's a lot easier to break traffic laws on a downhill than it is to ride yourself to cardiac arrest, though.

I do think you missed to characterization of Kim Flint, though, derekbob. I think the way he was characterized presented him as a man who starkly contradicted himself. He had this very high intellect, but he had an enormous immaturity, as well. He also changed during the course of his use of Strava. He was originally not very competitive, but Strava encouraged a deep competitiveness in him that he had never expressed before. That's all it was. Sounds to me like it went so far for him as to be an addiction.
    I didn't really summarize my take on the entire characterization of Flint. I'm just saying they did what is frequently done with the deceased: they went on and on about his accomplishments and glazed over any negative qualities. I gather he was competitive in other aspects in life before he included cycling. They don't say he was competitive explicitly but they describe him as having a confrontational work style. His professional accomplishments are probably a product of his competitive work ethic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For the record I don't have anything against Flint. He seemed like someone I would have liked as I prefer people who speak their mind. I think his situation is really sad and a great loss.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think that Strava is a great tool!! Just like any other tool in my box it needs to be used properly or it can be considered dangerous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This is just another example of the pu$$ification of the human race. If you want to go as hard you can all the time, go for it and don't expect anyone to feel bad when you crash and die or hurt someone else. If you don't want to go as hard you can all the time, don't be surprised when a "strav a hole" goes raging past you and does not care at all what you have to say.

With that being said:
    I have 6 pages of KOM's
    I've crashed a few dozen times because I was trying to get a KOM
    I've never angered someone or been verbally assaulted while biking (as far as I know)
    Sometimes I ride specifically to get KOM's, other times I ride just for fun.

My favorite part of strava is definitely the ability to keep track of your progress and look back at your rides. This year i've gone on 113 rides and I'm aiming for 140 by the end!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    My favorite part of strava is definitely the ability to keep track of your progress and look back at your rides. This year i've gone on 113 rides and I'm aiming for 140 by the end!!
    I also like looking back at your ride on google maps and checking out other trails or anything that looks interesting. I have always loved maps so I can look at google maps for hours. I realize this isn't unique to Strava but it's really cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't use strava I don't need it I use movescount I don't give a flying cog about the social competitive aspect. So many factors have an incidence on how fast yu go on a given segment or track
    The hour of the day, the temperature the rain the sun, wind etc..
    If i see a cyclist on a hill we gonna compete because its right now under same conditions, but competing against someone that may have ridden there yesterday? LOL
    I have no interest in this

Quote Originally Posted by jerbsod View Post
    I have no interest in this
    Who cares? There are dozens of sites out there that do variations on the same thing. You found one you like. Good for you.

mtbr member
    I find Strava to be a somewhat useful thing to chart my progress. I record a ride on a specific local trail maybe once a month to see if I'm making any fitness/skills progress. As far as competing with anyone on Strava, well.. Being a just returning to the bike 56 years old, looking at comparisons with others (noticing a few of the local 20 something expert class racers there) on a certain trail, and finding that my new PB ride placed 98th out of 132, doesn't give me much hope for any "KOM" trophies anytime soon.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr dismember

What about the driver and her young daughter?

If you want to risk your life for such a stupid goal, go ahead. I have absolutely no sympathy for you if you die. But what about the poor driver and her young daughter who may have nightmares for years?

AZ
    banned
    Strava is just a tool and like all other tools, they sometimes get used by tools.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how I feel about the article. I mean I applaud Flint's newly found passion and commitment to the sport, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that I think. He had drive and that's really important, I can respect that.

That said, I think people are taking Strava wayyyy too seriously and letting ego and pride get in the way. People are compromising the safety of others as well as allowing others to see private routes that shouldn't really be made public. The land owners will find out, and then that's the end of some awesome trails.

I like to leverage the tool to see my own personal growth, to see how far I've come in the past months. I've also seen some individuals take it too far, and that, I don't respect.