Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ^^^
    ...I'm committed to using a sensor that works with the Polar heart rate monitor my teammate gave me....the Polar H7 monitor. I've been able to get my Motorola Droid whatever to talk to it, although I wasn't smart enough to actually record the track last time.
    Huh? Droid ? Droid what?
    "Talk to it" Not sure what that means. Your note is not all that clear. Are you a developer writing apps? If so, PM me, we can talk. I'm assuming not but its not clear.

Polar H7 = Bluetooth Low Energy (also referred to as Blue Tooth Smart, Bluetooth 4.0) Devices with Bluetooth Low Energy = iPhone4S and 5, ipad, Samsung Galaxy SIII and Motorola Droid RAZR... do you have a RAZR? (Not the Eris, not the incredible, not the Droid Pro, not the X, not the 2,3, 4, not the S, ... there are a LOT of Motorola Droid phones ...) We're looking for the Motorola Droid RAZR & the Razr Maxx. There are also laptops and computers with the protocol, but I doubt you are carrying them around.

DO YOU HAVE A DROID RAZR? If not, you are done. Not going to work.

If you do have a RAZR, download endomondo, its free. I haven't tried that combination myself, but I'm pretty sure that will work well for you.

Register with Endomondo. Wet the contacts on your heart rate strap, put it on. Go outside so the phone will see the gps satellites. Attempt to record a track. Five minutes walking around is fine. To stop the recording, hit the pause button (= sign) then hit the red box (the stop button). Endomondo will automatically upload the track to their web site. You can go to a computer login, see your travel path, and your heart rate, etc... Let us know how this worked out! Good luck, zip

Fat-tired Roadie
    I feel like you're not really reading my posts. Post #24 read like a catalog of heart rate communication protocols where I was asking about something specific, for example.

Using MapMyRide and my current phone, I successfully recorded a track including heart rate. I have one of the Motorola Droids with the pull-out keyboard and I got it recently, but I don't care enough to remember what number that makes it. Regardless, it supports the communications protocol the H7 strap uses or MapMyRide wouldn't have worked.

I did try Endomondo. I couldn't get it to communicate with the strap. I'll re-look at it and maybe give it another shot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Ouch. Andrew, no offense intended here. Its totally not clear what goal you are trying to achieve.

--You might be like myself, trying to exercise specifically to get into better shape and lose weight. I use the Heart Rate (HR) recording to qualify my workouts, to attempt to place some sense into cross training (running / road rides / MTB rides) and monitor HR over time. e.g... a long run at avg 65% max for one hours is some what similiar to a short bike ride at avg 85% HR max. (Look up Strava Suffer Score / Andrew Coggan Training Stress Balance, Dr. Eric Bannister Training Impulse Score) For this purpose, I never look at HR during the exercise... cell phone stays tucked in pocket/camelback unless I need to check my route.. I often follow routes of others.. Its very easy to get lost here where I ride.. good trail / bad path could be 100 feet from each other...

--You might be training for an event, where you use your heart rate recording device as a training aid, for example to do a series of timed sprints as part of a training routine. Frankly these only make sense when running or road biking on relatively flat terrain. I can't imagine anybody doing this off road, but to each his own. For this you would have to check the screen / work off of audio commands. A variant on this is doing self sprints against timer, then start again after HR cools down to particular rate. So in this case you'd need a simple display of HR.

--You might be using the HR monitor as a fun tool to keep up motivation up.. eg.. how high did my HR go while climbing Puke-your-guts-out hill. Again, a simple display would work for that.

--You might have just finished reading "Heart Monitor Training for the Complete Idiot" by John L. Parker, and you want to do the Easy Day / Hard Day routine thing. Excellent book, highly recommended. I will say I doubt anybody could do an easy day off road single track mountain bike ride. Just not practical but who am I to say. I'm on a single speed. Hold easy days for road rides or running on more sedate terrain. Remember when that HR hits 70% you gotta slow down , PERIOD. For that you need HR display preferably with a audible zone alarm.

And you are right, I don't think there is a single piece of software out there that will do all of those different tasks on the Android. I think the Polar stuff will do the training zones and alarms, the map my rides / endomondo stuff will map out routes, keep recording for after the fact reviews...

What goal are you trying to achieve? (note: "just have fun, not worry about the details" is a totally acceptable answer...)

hmmm.. maybe that question would be a good survey for this site. (Multiple answers allowed, would have to rank your responses...) does this forum allow you to post up surveys?

What do you use your Heart Rate / GPS device for?
    --Find out new routes on my GPS device.
    --record my training / monitor my fitness for evaluation after the ride.
    --active training aid (manage my workout, perform splits, etc...)
    --Allow me to compete with myself / others on same route. Gauge my improvements. (Strava king of the hill, etc...)
    --Monitor my easy days so I don't exceed X% HR rate.
    --a fun cool tool, keeps me motivated.
    --I just like to see my heart rate. Keeps me in tune with my inner karma.
    --etc...

Andrew, which are you? And hey, we're all learning here... the HR rate app stuff and what it does is changing daily right now. Let us know what you've tried! thanks, zip.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The big goal is that I'd like to be more faster-er despite having less training time than in 2009-2011. I'm a better bike handler and better at pacing myself, so that helps, but it's still an endurance sport.

I've got two goals for the heart rate monitoring. The first is that I'm trying to follow a Friel plan (self-coached, per his book) a little more faithfully. Like a lot of amateurs who haven't been training with heart rate in the past, I'm finding that while I have a decent sense of my paces, I'm not that good at actually staying in them. So I have both the watch/computer unit and the strap, and the particular computer I have is able to tell me which zone I'm in, record time in zones, and do some interval workout timing. Use of a computer is non-negotiable and while it won't necessarily be the one I've got right now (Polar RS 300X) long-term, it'll be something. So I'm not going to switch to the Zephyr strap for Strava compatibility, for example.

The other goal is a secondary goal. I'm on Strava, along with some of my friends and a lot of teammates, and I get kind of a kick out of it. Now that I have a device that's capable of measuring my heart rate and can pair with my Android, which is what I use for GPS and Strava, I'd like to be able to add heart rate to those tracks. I don't use Strava as a training tool in general, although now and then I think I learn something useful from my tracks. I don't record my runs (don't want to take my phone with me) or my commutes (can't be bothered/it's pretty inane) so it's not like it has complete training data for me. I do that with Excel. If I can get tracks with heart rate into Strava, though, there are a couple of protocols in Friel that would be a bit easier to do. For example, one of his tests for LT is that it's average heart rate for the last 30 minutes of a race. I think it also might be interesting to see where I'm spending effort, and if my heart rate follows trends over the course of events.

So where I'm at is that I've got a heart rate monitor and strap combination that work together, and I've got an Android phone that will work with the strap with at least some software. I just want the phone to passively record - I'd much rather use a small, purpose-built device to do any feedback I actually use.

So I guess I'm in the record/training tool group.

FWIW, it's actually not that difficult to manage effort on a mountain bike ride. Since heart rate is reactive, it acts to average effort to some extent. This is why it takes several seconds to react to a change in effort/pace. I don't know if I could do it with sustained climbs - those often have a certain minimum effort - but on rolling singletrack, sure. Probably not with the kind of precision I could do it on a run around the lake near my house, but it's just guidelines at the end of the day.

Fat-tired Roadie

Polar RS 300X hardware compatibility

Just in case people aren't totally over this tangent yet,

The Polar RS 300X is compatible with several monitor straps. The only one that does any kind of Bluetooth is the Polar H7 strap, which uses Bluetooth Low Energy. That puts a few phones out of the running right away, not including mine. For other Polar users, the Polar web page for your product has a "compatible accessories" link.

Just to make things confusing, Polar has previously released a Bluetooth sensor strap, the Wearlink+ Bluetooth. This isn't compatible with any of their standalone devices. (Per the page on this particular strap.)

The H7 and Wearlink+ use a different protocol along with having somewhat different Bluetooth implementations and devices support. From some previous clicking around, Polar is only releasing the API to a few companies and developers, and they have to apply for it. I can't be bothered to re-find the forum where this came up, but it was one of Polar's own forums, IIRC; the question was answered by a Polar employee.

Information about which Android apps are and are not currently supporting the H7 is pretty sketchy. Polar says that no Android phones work with it, which I know isn't true. (Per the page on the H7.) The combination of MapMyRide, the Polar H7, and the Motorola DROID 4 works fine. MapMyRide just sucks.

I'm pretty much over actively looking for an app that will work with my hardware and export .tcx. My initial plan had been just to use the heart rate monitor as a heart rate monitor, without bringing the phone into the mix, but when I figured out that I had a probably-compatible hardware ecosystem, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Back in March, Strava was already supporting the H7 for their iPhone app. (For once, iPhones do something I want and my Android doesn't do it!) So, I won't be too surprised if a future Android version adds this functionality. For now, I think I'm using the heart rate monitor as a heart rate monitor and the Android and Strava as an amusing record of my rides.

EDIT: Oh yeah - as of right now, Endomondo and my phone won't work with the H7, and information about their support or non-support of this device varies.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I run endomondo and strava at the same time.
    Endomondo on the phone so wife/kids at home can see where I am. Edge500 output uploaded to Strava for post-ride review.

It would be slick if Strava could live-track like Endomondo so that riding buddies could see where I was and maybe join me if they were headed out as well, although I'd probably have to buy a new phone for that since Strava has no BB support.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Personally, I liked Endomondo since it always tell you when you reached a Kilometer. Sometimes the voice is annoying(Lap Reached) but gets you motivated most of the time. Never tried other since my Nokia does not support them at least in my country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm ready to exchange the Polar H7 I just bought for the Zephyr that Strava recommends. I can't seem to the my Razr Maxx to pair with it. Error message about pin incompatibility.

Could very possibly be user error since I have had this Razr for about a week

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    What app are you using? What app do you want to use? Are you constrained by wanting to maintain compatibility with another piece of hardware, like a watch or an actual cycle computer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm a Strava user and would prefer to stay there and don't want to run 2-3 separate pieces of equipment.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I actually did a feature request on Strava support about that issue and they say they're working on it. But for now, I think the easiest would be to just get the Zephyr they recommend. No idea if it works, maybe you can find some discussion of that specific combination elsewhere on the 'net.

mtbr member
    I have been using Endonmondo for some time now on my Android phone. I am very happy with it but the kcal is not correct. I noticed that since I ride the same route to work that if I take more time to get there (slower riding) I burn more kcal. If I amp up my ride and push it I burn less kcal. I now have the Zepher HR monitor and will see if it helps correct this issue. I have the Pro version but now there is another version above it that costs a few dollars more. I did start out with MapMyRide but like Endomondo a bit better. BTW I got the Zepher blue Tooth HR monitor for $79 + $9 for ground shipping.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm currently using Everytrail (free) coming from Endomondo. I just liked the phonecamera function of Everytrail which Endomondo and the other apps I've tried didn't have. I love how it allows me to take geotagged photos along the way and automatically place it in the track.

I loved Endomondo before because of how fast it gets a GPS lock in. I loved the apps robustness and I never experienced a crash even when there is a call. Although there seemed to be a glitch that when the time hits midnight on the phone (I usually ride at night), tracking seems to stop for around 30 seconds to 1 minute. I reported it to Endomondo and those clowns just laughed it off with some Cinderella references.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Do all of the top apps have auto start/stop?
    ★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

Fat-tired Roadie
    Strava certainly doesn't. Strava will calculate elapsed time and moving time after upload, however. With the more competitively-oriented app, it makes about as much sense as allowing players to pause a multiplayer computer game.

mtbr member
    One plus for Strava is the Kcal counter seems much better then endomondo. Once I got my HR monitor my Kcals were cut in half on Endonmondo. Using Strava and entering in my bike weight and such it seems to be very close to Endomondo (with HR monitor). However, Strava is not using my HR moniror, it seems that only one app can connect via bluetooth.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just two:

Endomondo
    Pros:
    - lightweight and robust app. Never crashed, never hanged.
    - quick to get an initial GPS fix.
    - talking coach counts out the distance
    - live online tracking (but I never used it).
    - allows you to play music while tracking
    - desktop app calendar interface was very useful
    Cons:
    - customer service sucks
    - no cameraphone function
    - map cannot be zoomed it while tracking

Everytrail
    Pros:
    - integrated cameraphone function. allows you to take geotagged pictures and it places them automatically on the track.
    - offline pre-cached map while tracking
    - wait.., that's the only reason I shifted from Endomondo
    Cons:
    - slow to get an initial GPS fix
    - slow to upload tracks
    - few picture management tools on the device or on the online desktop interface.

mtbr member
    Lots of info. Lots of tech.
    I'm using Motion X GPS on an iPhone 4S.
    I like it a lot and use it as a training log and enjoy importing DWX files into google earth and sharing to Facebook. I also like how pics are added to tracks.
    I do not own a HRM as my old Polar died.
    What is the easiest/best path to include HR into the picture using the iPhone and Motion x?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2