Chamois Dropper

Strava question. Never tried it before.

I've googled around and can't find an answer. I believe that if the app is running, and I come upon a segment, Strava will automatically record my time on that predetermined segment. Is this correct? I'm using an iPhone, do I have to keep it on my bars, or can I leave it running and put it in my camelbak? I'm not really competitive, I just want to see if my times are improving, and hitting my stopwatch is a pain and I always forget. I really don't want to have a phone on my bars either. Thanks in advance for your sage replies.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

sheep in FOX clothing
    It's auto.

Just start the app at the beginning and stop it at the end of the ride.

Don't forget to turn it off before you drive home.

Putting any GPS in your pack the signal will degrade and strava will be less likely to match to a segment. The pack and its contents interfere with the signal

Chamois Dropper
    Thanks for the replies. I guess that answers my questions. If I really like it, I may get a bar mount, but good ones aren't cheap. I thought I'd wait a while since the iPhone 5 may be coming soon and I don't want to end up with another obsolete phone accessory. I have the ginormous belt clip that came with my Otter case, may try attaching that to my Camelbak strap. Thanks again.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

You would be better off keeping the old phone for GPS duty. The GPS will still work without service and you can cache maps with many apps using wifi. And even permanent map downloading is finally becoming available

A phone is an expensive tool to risk by playing with it as a GPS on the bike.

Also, a basic etrex will run you about $100, which AFAIK, is close to the cost of a good case and bike mount for a phone anyway. It will be more accurate at least

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have an etrex but the battery life is awful on it. No more than 4 hours and they are dead. I've started using the Fitness Tracker app on my Blackberry (since Strava doesn't have a native app for the BB) and the battery life is so much better on it. Put the phone in a zip lock baggie and in my shirt pocket and the GPS has great reception.

But my employer provides the BB so I'm not really worried about it. The Ft app also automatically uploads to Stava as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Putting any GPS in your pack the signal will degrade and strava will be less likely to match to a segment. The pack and its contents interfere with the signal
    Where would you suggest putting a smart phone if the pack can interfere?

I'm think of a Galaxy II or Iphone.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrabenaldt View Post
    I have an etrex but the battery life is awful on it. No more than 4 hours and they are dead. I've started using the Fitness Tracker app on my Blackberry (since Strava doesn't have a native app for the BB) and the battery life is so much better on it. Put the phone in a zip lock baggie and in my shirt pocket and the GPS has great reception.

But my employer provides the BB so I'm not really worried about it. The Ft app also automatically uploads to Stava as well.
    what batteries on the etrex and do you have the correct battery option set? Rechargeables need to be replaced after awhile because they lose capacity. If the battery type option is set incorrectly, the GPS will often think the batteries are dead when they are not. etrex should be getting 20+ hours easy. Most 24+.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Where would you suggest putting a smart phone if the pack can interfere?

I'm think of a Galaxy II or Iphone.
    for optimal reception, the GPS antenna needs an unobstructed view of the sky. Patch antennas need to be oriented square to the sky, also. which means vertical (like on an arm band) will not be as good. Which means, handlebar/stem provides optimal reception. with that said, it's a phone and you're going to have to spend money on a case and a mount (and maybe even an auxiliary battery if you plan on using it for long days or multiple days at a time).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    for optimal reception, the GPS antenna needs an unobstructed view of the sky. Patch antennas need to be oriented square to the sky, also. which means vertical (like on an arm band) will not be as good. Which means, handlebar/stem provides optimal reception. with that said, it's a phone and you're going to have to spend money on a case and a mount (and maybe even an auxiliary battery if you plan on using it for long days or multiple days at a time).
    Great, I will let my bud know. He's been having rec problems with his Galaxy. He puts it vertical, in the pack. I guess I can see why he was having problems.

Are most of these ant located on the back of the phone or more toward the front (like the screen side) ?

I was thinking screen up or screen down if we can figure a way to get the phone horizontal in the pack.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess that answers my questions. If I really like it, I may get a bar mount, but good ones aren't cheap. I thought I'd wait a while since the iPhone 5 may be coming soon and I don't want to end up with another obsolete phone accessory. I have the ginormous belt clip that came with my Otter case, may try attaching that to my Camelbak strap. Thanks again.
    that's what I do, much MUCH safer there than on the bars. If you ride it right in the pocket in between the shoulder and chest muscles, not only will it have a super clear shot of the sky but also if you wipe out it'll most likely not get damaged,.. and if YOU get damaged it doesn't get much easier to get to for that 911 call

I do have a mini bungie cord I wrap around it and the pack strap as I don't much trust the Otterbox belt holder going over rough terrain

I have done one mod to the otterbox belt clip.. I snapped the rotating stupid huge plastic clip off and used a spring steel one off a tape measure with a small nut and bolt as it holds it tighter to my body that way... on the pack or on the belt.... I hate those stupid over sized belt clips, thing feels like it's sticking out 2 feet from your side
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Chamois Dropper
    Great advice, I'm going to try with my phone clipped to my pack for a few short segments. It looks like the Garmin edge is strava compatible, does it know the established segments when you run them? Sorry for being such a Strava noob....
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Great advice, I'm going to try with my phone clipped to my pack for a few short segments. It looks like the Garmin edge is strava compatible, does it know the established segments when you run them? Sorry for being such a Strava noob....
    no, if you use a standalone GPS, you have to go home to upload your activity to the website. It matches segments then.

Any GPS is going to be compatible as long as you can get a .gpx file off of it.

sheep in FOX clothing
    does it know the established segments when you run them?

No, but you can upload the KOM (or anyone else on the list) ahead of time as the Edge's Virtual Partner from raceshape.com.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I use strava with my HTC Rezound (Verizon 4G) and put it in my outer most pouch on my pack. It has held a signal for all of my rides which are between 1-2+ hours. It uploads as soon as I'm finished the ride and press "finish ride." Then my results for the defined segments pop up in 10-15 seconds. Its pretty sweet.

Another option is the Motorola motoactv. There are some users on XDA-Developers site that wrote an app that converts the activity data to GPX and it can be uploaded to strava. Just bought the motoactv for my wife to run with and plan on trying it out on my rides. There are handlebar, arm band, and clip accessories for it that will allow you to attach it many different ways.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2