Thread: Strava Question

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Strava Question

I just downloaded the android app and have a few questions. If I just log in through the app does it start recording when I go through segments? Or do I have to log in and then click Record a Ride? Then during my ride it will separately record my time if I pass through a segment? So I will essentially have a full ride time and then separate segment times if I pass through any?

Thanks for the help!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    You have to be recording a ride. Start the app, start recording and then go ride. When you are done, finish the ride and then it starts evaluating your ride for segments and shows them all to you individually split out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climnron View Post
    Or do I have to log in and then click Record a Ride?

So I will essentially have a full ride time and then separate segment times if I pass through any?

Thanks for the help!

Yes to both above. You have to manually hit record and end ride. It will automatically pick up prior segments if you rode them the same way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry for posting the same response question in 2 areas, but . . . If you hit record at the start of a segment, does it start recording that segment right away or wait until you start moving?

mtbr member
    You press record at the start of a ride not the segment. When you are done, Strava automatically looks at your ride and adds your ride to the segment

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by climnron View Post
    Sorry for posting the same response question in 2 areas, but . . . If you hit record at the start of a segment, does it start recording that segment right away or wait until you start moving?
    You press start. Strava starts tracking where you go, how fast etc, whether it is on a segment or not.

When the path you're riding corresponds with a segment that some other rider has defined, strava will report your time on that segment and provide rankings etc.

If there's something you've ridden than is not a segment, you can go into the file you've created and define all or just a part of what you've ridden as a segment. For the most part you WON't be doing this because most common trails are already defined.

mtbr member
    Another Strava virgin question here:
    So, if I upload a Garmin file to Strava will it dissect the segments and times from it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You're making this more complicated than it is. Start the computer, ride the trails, hit stop, upload to the computer.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Another Strava virgin question here:
    So, if I upload a Garmin file to Strava will it dissect the segments and times from it?
    yes.

mtbr member
    Thx!

mtbr member
    OK no hijack intended, buuuuuuut when I download the rides I've logged on my FR 305 over the last year or so to Strava, will it load all of them or just the ones I select? Or will it download only ones done after I set up my Strava account (today)??

OK no hijack intended, buuuuuuut when I download the rides I've logged on my FR 305 over the last year or so to Strava, will it load all of them or just the ones I select? Or will it download only ones done after I set up my Strava account (today)??
    You can choose. It will show you everything in your history, and whether it's already on Strava or a new activity. New activities will have a checkbox so you can select which ones you upload (unlike Garmin Connect, which doesn't ask you and just uploads everything).

mtbr member
    Thanks Nate! So when rides are uploaded to the site but is listed as "empty" and have "X" instead of processing, does it mean those files are not going to be loadable to Strava no way and no how?
    Only the last two rides of the last year were completely uploaded, the rest were labeled as such

Thanks Nate! So when rides are uploaded to the site but is listed as "empty" and have "X" instead of processing, does it mean those files are not going to be loadable to Strava no way and no how?
    Only the last two rides of the last year were completely uploaded, the rest were labeled as such
    I don't know the answer to that one. I haven't encountered it. I usually upload ride data from my Oregon 450, and I have to do manual uploads because Strava doesn't support that device. I only ever upload directly from the device with my Forerunner, and I don't upload it to Strava very often. Only after I do running races.

mtbr member
    Oh, I just found out how to transfer the individual gpx files from Garmin connect to Strava
    Strava customer service also gave me a link to do bulk uploads also Anyone ever used this -> www.sideburn.org/garmin/