mtbr member

Strava goofing up at the beginning of a Ride?

Hey guys. Wondering if anybody has any ideas.

It has been showing me with some real high spikes in speed at the beginning of a ride from my garage. Id like to say i had it up to 37mph out the gate, but im riding flat ground and i certainly did not.

Thought maybe the jump from wifi to 3G on the iPhone caused it, but tried disabling wifithe fire this ride and it still happened. never seem to have any signal issues around here.

mtbr member
    That is not unique to strava. Happens to quite a few GPS systems. I frequently get spikes in HR and speed at the start of rides before things settle down.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    it is the way the phone is getting the satalites. If I gets thems, drops them and regains it. Best to just crop the ride to remove that garbage data.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    it is the way the phone is getting the satalites. If I gets thems, drops them and regains it. Best to just crop the ride to remove that garbage data.
    This. If you start the GPS inside the garage, the signal is going to be spotty, at best. Big error. Then when you get out into clear view of the sky, your signal is better and the error drops significantly. This can be perceived by the GPS as rapid movement when it was only a rapid reduction in error.

Start the GPS when you're well out into the driveway.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I get a lot of huge MPH spikes with Strava but the others I use are fine

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    I get a lot of huge MPH spikes with Strava but the others I use are fine
    they all do it.. but I will say Strava and MapMyRIde were the worst/least accurate.. use another GPS app and just export the file to use on Strava's website if you want...

also I noted when I went from an Iphone 3 to a 4 the GPS was a BIG bump up in GPS accuracy..

if you're contract is over (most likely if still using a 3) you can get a refurb-ed Iphone 4 (not "S") and sell you're old 3 to one of the electronic recycler's for more than the new 4.. I ended up getting the Iphone 4, plus paid a months bill for my old 3
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/