Stem mount for 60/76 series Garmin GPS receivers

Unfortunately, nobody makes a decent stem mount for most GPS receivers. Hanging them on the handlebars invites disaster. In a crash, one hanging off the h-bar is likely to snap the mount at minimum but with the GPS hanging in the open, there's a chance that an impact will harm the GPS itself. Under normal riding conditions, the GPS is also in a prime location for your knee to smack.

I've been thinking and tinkering for awhile on how I'd make a stem mount for my 76. I started with trying to make one out of stainless steel sheet. I got everything made just fine, but there were sharp edges I was dissatisfied with. Acting on a tip on mtbr (from bankerboy), I bought Garmin's h-bar mount and sought to modify it so I can put it on my stem. Here's the sum of my progress.

Here you can see how I modified the handlebar mount to fit my stem. I cut the clamp off and then sanded down the remaining bit of plastic to fit the contour of my stem. Wrapping the sandpaper around a seatpost did the trick for me. The guy on mtbr used a dremel, but this was pretty quick work. Once I got it sanded to fit, I drilled holes in the sides that I could run zip ties through.

Finally are the fit pictures. You can see the zip tie attachment on the first pic. The rest of the pics show the GPS attached to illustrate clearances. This process works for a 60 series GPS, too (the one bankerboy had), but the GPS sits a little farther forward on the bike. Even though this hangs over my headset a bit, I still have enough clearance with my knees. For security purposes, it's a good idea to loop the lanyard around the stem in the event that a crash snaps the mount. That way, the GPS is still attached to the bike and doesn't get lost in the woods. I've read more than a couple stories about people losing their Edge GPS because it fell off the mount or the mount broke in a big crash.

Scott in Tucson

Nice

That's good work, thanks for posting. I've been running the VistaCX as my primary unit, but would sure like to go back to a larger screen size. Mounting a 60/76/Colorado on the stem might just be the way to go.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    NateHawk
    -I have been on a rough ride with my newly stem mounted 60csx and I am happy to report the mount works like a champ! I crashed into a tree, jumpped a few gaps without a single issue.

You and Bakerboy have developde a wonderful solution to mounting on the stem.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm planning following your design because I'm moving from N. Ga. to Phoenix, Az. I wanted someting like this when riding in the desert. its going to be totally different riding enviroment than what I've done all my life out East!