mtbr member

SPOT Satellite device -> any experience

I am considering the SPOT Satellite tracking device (www.findmespot.com) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience (good / bad) with it related to mountain biking.

SPOT. THE WORLD’S FIRST SATELLITE MESSENGER.

With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your loved ones have peace of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location – with a link to Google Maps™ – and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with loved ones, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world – even where cell phones don't.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    I am considering the SPOT Satellite tracking device (www.findmespot.com) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience (good / bad) with it related to mountain biking.

SPOT. THE WORLD’S FIRST SATELLITE MESSENGER.
    Head over to the Endurance Racing forum. Tour Divide and the Great Divide Race both have racers using Spot units this year, including a leaderboard for Tour Divide.

I tracked my friend Mike Curiak for a couple weeks as he rode across Alaska along the iditarod and was impressed how well the unit worked. Even with notoriously bad GPS coverage in places (north side of the Alaska Range) it still sent quite a few "track" points.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    I guess it would be useful if you want to let everyone else know where you are and that all is well. But if I'm going to carry something it would be best if it had maps so it would benefit me... Then I can independently find my way home if needed, rather than using the device to get help. I don't really travel in to many far out places in the backcountry anyway.

I think endurance racing and long expeditions (coast to coast rides and such) are really the sorts of things where this is useful.

Not so much for your typical 2hour local loop.

Still, there's been a fair bit of talk about this gizmo in the backpacking community and a number of people have found that there are a fair number of circumstances where the thing just doesn't work as well as advertised. From the reports I've read, it seems that close to half have got it to work right and half have not (and couldn't figure out why it didn't work better).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I own a SPOT. I think it is a good device to use on any backcountry adventure especially if you go solo. I have looked into PLBs but the spot device provides more flexibility and interactivity. I imagine in a couple years they will make it significantly smaller. I carry a gps and maps for navigation. Since it is gps and essentially a sat phone text messenger one has to be aware of signal interference in canyons.
    J