mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Sources for free GPS tracks

In particular I would like to find a file for Moab's Whole Enchilada, preferably a full loop.
    But I would also like to find good sources for (free) GPS tracks for rides, GPX or KML preferred. I am most interested in the "Four Corners" states.

mtbr dismember

Garmin Connect

Garmin Connect has a lot. You need to join, for free, in order to search and download I believe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Garmin Connect has a lot. You need to join, for free, in order to search and download I believe.
    And of course shortly after posting I found this:
    The Whole Enchilada: Moab MTB and Reviews

dblblack
    Apr 2012

Rides in Utah/Colorado

You mentioned primarily rides in the four corners area. Here is a site that has rides and trails throughout Utah, a few in Colorado, and some in Arizona. I'm a newbie and can't post links. It is skidmap.com, (btw, i have no affiliation with this site but a friend showed it to me). It looks like this would definitely have some rides in the area you are interested in.
    Last edited by dblblack; 05-30-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: wrong title

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    You mentioned primarily rides in the four corners area. Here is a site that has rides and trails throughout Utah, a few in Colorado, and some in Arizona. I'm a newbie and can't post links. It is skidmap.com, (btw, i have no affiliation with this site but a friend showed it to me). It looks like this would definitely have some rides in the area you are interested in.
    That's a good resource for online viewing of the many trails they have mapped but, unfortunately, they don't like GPX format. The Skid Map Project FAQ

Those skidmap guys know their $hit. They do an awesome job on their database.

mtbr member
    Sorry we took so long to see this. The skidmap site does provide GPX files for every single track we have. Our FAQ about not liking GPX is simply to illustrate that our maps are not raw GPX tracks. So many sites and individuals offer up their GPX tracks raw from their device, including their ride around the parking lot and a bathroom break in the woods. They are also inaccurate and prone to drift because of the bike movement, in addition to cutting turns and put in way too many points for straight lines.

So once our tracks are cleaned, optimized and adjusted for drift using satellite imagery, we allow anyone to download the GPX tracks for personal use by generating the GPX file straight from our database (All cleaned and tidy). We even provide a direct upload to your device using the Garmin Connect.

Again, sorry for the late reply, if you have questions, just shoot an email to info@skidmap.com, and we will respond promptly.

Thanks.
    SkidMap Trail Critic

mtbr member
    I use bikely.com a lot for finding cool loops.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    everytrail.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can you upload to your GPS after creating an account and making a trail on everytrail.com? I just got a Garmin Etrex 30, so I'm trying to figure all this out haha

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For everytrail.com you can gps a route and upload the gpx track file to the everytrail site. You can also download others gpx tracks from the everytrail site. The tracks may only be as accurate as the data collected. You can sign up for free and their site has details. Its fairly user friendly. Its another good place to look for track files of mtn bike rides but you have to screen through different activities such as atv riding, snowmobiling, hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, etc to find what you are looking for. Its another good source for mtn bike trails where you can download the tracks of someone has taken the time to gps them and post them.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Im gonna keep up with this thread so when i have time i can sit down with each of the sites!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

EDR
    I've used Everytrail a lot for Sedona area trails. There are number of folks who have put in a lot of time gps'ing and uploading those trails to that site. I've used it for a few Moab trails as well. Outside of those two uses I'm not sure how extensive the database is....but I like it and it's easy to use, and free.