mtbr member
    Dec 2006

software help... one device to rule them all

OK so I finally broke down and bought an iPhone. Part of my rationale is that it has the potential to replace the bevy of electronic gizmos I take with me.

Here is my goal for Road and Mountain Bike rides. I'm hoping the software experts can help. I'll post my mounting schemes once I have that worked out (i don't like any of the commercial ones I've found yet).

GPS... I want to download routes posted on the internet and go ride them confident of not missing any turns. It would be good to know how much farther I have to go to so total distance would help

While the GPS is displayed... when I look down I would like to see HR displayed fairly big along with elapsed time. It would be great on the road bike to be able to see current speed too

It would be OK to have to switch screens to see other data

One last thing on the path to nirvana. And this one could be vital. I'd like to be able to put my local maps on the phone and not rely on data service to stream the map.

BTW I have spent an hour or two surfing but haven't landed yet so I thought I'd see what kind of kind responses I'd get from my favorite online community.

mtbr dismember

Garmin Edge 800

Garmin Edge 800, or even Edge 705. You could have saved a lot of money and gotten something that is designed to do all these things, and quite a bit better. Is there still time to get your money back?

I'm with wherewolf. the dedicated GPS does what it needs to do out of the box. maps are available for free. load them once and you're set.

a phone needs pretty extensive accessories to make it work. so after you get the phone, you need to get a good case, because going without a case will ruin the expensive thing. then if your case doesn't have a mount, or a good mount, you've gotta get the mount issue dealt with. then you have to deal with battery life. what's the battery life with data, without data, etc? with an iphone, you can't just carry a spare and swap it out like you can with better phones. not to mention, iphones tend to have some of the worst gps battery life as I understand it. so now you have to figure out what to do about recharging. that's another accessory you have to buy. when you add up the accessory prices, you could have bought an etrex 10.

that's ignoring the fact that phone gps receivers are not as good. the chips are not as good, and the antennas are smaller than what you get in a dedicated gps. if you want better gps data, you have to buy an external gps receiver. good ones aren't cheap. add that in and that'll get you a better etrex, Dakota, Oregon, or even one of the older or less expensive Edge models.

but now you have to decide which app you want. sadly, they don't all do everything that one dedicated GPS can do out of the box. so you have to try several out, dealing with unsatisfactory results over and over, and signing up for a new service every time.

if you like gizmos and you like fiddling around with stuff, then go ahead and eat your heart out fiddling. I like my stuff to just work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Try Endomondo out for software. RAM mount for hardware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am using endomondo.. i do enjoy to record every trip of my cycling..

mtbr dismember

No monthly fees

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    ...if you like gizmos and you like fiddling around with stuff, then go ahead and eat your heart out fiddling. I like my stuff to just work.
    And my GPS has no monthly fees

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    And my GPS has no monthly fees
    Oh yeah, How could I forget the most expensive part?!?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    In my experience, the right Android hardware (Sony xperia active) will do exactly what you want and more, but not with one app alone. The Oruxmaps app is beautiful for using maps and satellite imagery offline, and for navigating existing routes and tracks. However, its bike-specific functionality (heart rate, power) is limited. Several apps are available for bike functions, like IPBike or SportyPal, both of which will display and record ANT+ data streams, but they are somewhat clunky and/or do not support offline maps.

Hence one is forced into using two or more apps to replicate what a Garmin 750 or 800 will do, which is a PITA plus it reduces battery life.

Given the limitations with Iphone hardware (waterproofing, durability), my guess is that Iphone route will be even further from your desired electronic nirvana.

(The Xperia Active has ANT+ radio built in. The onboard GPS has glonass support and even without it is comparable to my Garmin 60 in signal acquisition and tracking in the woods. And most importantly, it really is waterproof and shock resistant, and a good handlebar mount is available. Finally, you can carry backup batteries which are tiny.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for offering your help...

I have a Garmin Etrex (upper end model can't remember which one). A heart rate monitor and I had a Black Berry. When I leave out for a ride I take the Black Berry (in case I need to call wife11 or 911), A Heart rate monitor, a cycling computer, and sometimes the etrex. I needed the phone anyway so the only extra cost was the difference between the iPhone and a different device (about $100).

Anyway my goal like I said before is to simplify the whole thing and since I'm always bringing the Phone it seems like the natural hub. It also has a large display for a device that light.

I'm going to check into endo. Maybe someone else has some other ideas.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot View Post

I have a Garmin Etrex (upper end model can't remember which one). A heart rate monitor and I had a Black Berry. When I leave out for a ride I take the Black Berry (in case I need to call wife11 or 911), A Heart rate monitor, a cycling computer, and sometimes the etrex. I needed the phone anyway so the only extra cost was the difference between the iPhone and a different device (about $100).

Anyway my goal like I said before is to simplify the whole thing and since I'm always bringing the Phone it seems like the natural hub. It also has a large display for a device that light.

The point is a smartphone is a poor bike computer, especially off road. A Garmin Edge can do everything but be a phone, and do it much better. Edge on the bars, phone stashed away (if carried at all).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I agree with the others, Garmin Edge series for bike phone for emergencies. I tried to use my phone with GPS and while my Samsung Galaxy S3 is really good at GPS it still cant do everything that a bike computer can do in motion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot View Post

OK, another idea. The Etrex 30 records and displays heart rate from ANT+ sensors, as well as distance, speed, maps, etc. So if that's the model you have, you can get rid of the cycling computer and heart rate monitor. Just etrex (on the bars) + phone.

One Gear
    Download the Tapatalk app. Then the IPhone is really good at connecting to this forum. It's not so good for all of the other things that you want it to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk