Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So I got an Edge 705... now what?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Harold 
#1 ·
I've been googling and googling. I can't seem to wrap my thick bonehead around how to get trail maps and load them onto my newly aquired Edge 705. I got it used, and got such a good deal on it that I can sell my Edge 305 and probably come out about even. I picked up an extra blank memory card for it, and would just love to load it full of maps.

I'm hoping I can find a map of a trail system (ones I know, and more importantly, ones I don't) be able to download a map, import it on there and be able to find my way around... and preferably a free crowdsourced solution, although I don't mind the occasional donation to keep the small programmers alive.

I fly around the country a lot, and sometimes I like to rent a bike and take tours of the local flavor whenever work allows.

I did get Everytrail for my iPhone, and somehow I thought I saw that they supported Garmin devices. I was hoping for a solution that didn't have me reaching into my pack for trail directions every 10 minutes, or strapping my iPhone to the handlebars.

I'm sure this has been covered a zillion times. The info I've been finding seems outdated.

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
Good stuff. I'm surprised nobody has made a sticky of this this info.

I am surprised nobody has made a map of Joaquin Miller Park or Redwood Park in Oakland, CA... basically, my backyard. I guess that's now my job. :) I mean, I know my way around, but it would be nice to get used to how the mapping works in familiar territory.

#7 ·
Good stuff. I'm surprised nobody has made a sticky of this this info.

I am surprised nobody has made a map of Joaquin Miller Park or Redwood Park in Oakland, CA... basically, my backyard. I guess that's now my job. :) I mean, I know my way around, but it would be nice to get used to how the mapping works in familiar territory.
I wrote a post with this info (and more) about actually using a GPS, but none of the mods would sticky it. If you can find it (it's probably from 2009 or 2010) and ask for it to be stickied, I'm sure others would appreciate it.

And yeah, using it somewhere you're already familiar with the layout will help you get a handle on the device itself, rather than navigating AND getting used to the device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.