Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sitting on the Edge 500 or 510 fence?

My FR305 is getting pretty sketchy ( less than 2 hours per charge and occasional mystery beeps/freezes) and I'm going to need a replacement soon. I've read a plethora of 500 reviews/threads and DCrainmakers 510 review and still can't decide between the two....or just continuing to use my Galaxy S3 (which is surprisingly more accurate than my 305 mileage wise, though foregoes cadence and I've yet to get a Bluetooth HR monitor, and it seems the BT cadence counters are iFern only?)

So who else is straddling the 500/510 fence and why? (other than having to wait for the 510 to even hit the shelves)
    Last edited by Noclutch; 02-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think I'm springing for a 510 as a replacement for my 500 vs. dealing with warrantying it through Garmin. My 500 has had horrid GPS reception and accuracy ever since they replaced the screen for me,and Garmin tech support just keeps telling me to reset it, which doesn't work. So I've decided I don't really want to mess with a 500 anymore. The 510 really appeals to me since it'll profile up to 10 bikes (I have 3, going on 4 in the next few months), and you can have profiles (training, race, etc) for what is shown on the screen. I'm not the biggest fan of it being touchscreen. And of course I'm definitely loving that it has the second satellite system, too.

Just waiting for them to get to stores...

Ninja Master Powers
    I have the 810 which shares many features with the 510.

It well worth the little extra money, at least to me.

Plus the 500/800 are on the way out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got mine yesterday. I have been using 500 for an year and compared to that 510 is very big and bulky. Live tracking feature is also dependent upon mobile reception and I have to make sure every time that I charge both. Touch screen isn't that useful shifting fields while riding the bike and has poor contrast in sunlight. I am not sure how they convinced themselves to enter the market with that big size considering all the road bikes and aero profiles.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input, zerodb. I think. A year and a half of lurking before your first post? Whatever works for ya
    So are you saying that the 510 has less screen contrast than the 500? Is it adjustable? (like my 305 is)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sitting on the Edge 500 or 510 fence?-img_20130214_164635.jpg
    Sorry. I didn't know that I have to post enough to comment about a product This is one of the few threads I found when I searched for 500 vs 510. Brightness can be changed but may be it's that pixely look that's weird. Device is almost as big as the stem.

mtbr member
    Thx for the pic zerodb! And welcome to MTBR I'm sure that many of us here would love to hear more feedback from you as you get more hours on it. Yea it is big, but at least the color scheme works on your (road) rig!

since 4/10/2009
    I don't see how that's a problem...but I guess roadies were complaining about the size of the Edge 500 when it came out, too. how else do you figure they would fit the additional radio and antenna into it? probably a bigger battery to power everything, too.

features have a price...size.

mtbr member
    I had the 205 and it died on me after a long life... upgraded to the 500 and it was even better and is still going strong. From what I have heard the 510 is awesome and even better then the 500. I played with it a bit at the shop and it was awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I received my 510 last week and have used it on three rides so far and love it. Coming from a 305 (which finally gave up) it is a quantum leap to say the least! Still getting used to everything but one of the biggest immediate differences is the lightning fast download speeds. Takes about 3-5 seconds on Garmin or Strava vs. the 30-40 seconds it used to take.

Pairs up with all my accessories VERY quickly and is very intuitive.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and it has worked flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got my hands on a 510 today... so very completely utterly happy with it! Definitely a huge improvement over the 500 in my eyes. Just a lot more user friendly IMO. And since I am going on 5 bikes, I love the fact it profiles up to 10! And to boot, I got full satellite reception within 5 seconds in my house. Compare that to the 25 minutes outside with a clear view of the sky my 500 took, and I'm a happy camper

I did a small, dorky write up on my blog: Unboxing & Review: Garmin Edge 510 Cycling Computer | outdoorgirlygirl

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That reminds me of one of the biggest surprises. I get satellite reception in my basement!! And it is significantly quicker than the 305 I replaced.

Ride More, Work Less
    I saw a 510 under glass at REI. I liked the understated looks, especially compared to the bundle version of the 500.

It was hard to wait on my REI dividend (~3 more weeks).
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I saw a 510 under glass at REI. I liked the understated looks, especially compared to the bundle version of the 500.

Oh man, it is definitely hard to wait for those dividends to come! I feel your pain! Mine is probably going towards more bike mounts for my Thule rack. I'm such an impatient person, that's why I jumped on the 510.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Oh man, it is definitely hard to wait for those dividends to come! I feel your pain! Mine is probably going towards more bike mounts for my Thule rack. I'm such an impatient person, that's why I jumped on the 510.
    I tried to talk my wife into just going ahead and getting it. What if they were sold out when the dividend comes in? What if I don't have time to make it back to REI? What if.... Alas, waiting is the right thing since the weather outside isn't quite cooperating.

mtbr member
    For those that have used both the 500 and 510...Are the speed/cadence sensors and premium HR strap the same for both bundled units?
    Reason I ask is because I already have the 500 bundle, but if I decide to upgrade I'd like to know if I could just get the 510 unit or have to get the whole bundle.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Ride More, Work Less

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    For those that have used both the 500 and 510...Are the speed/cadence sensors and premium HR strap the same for both bundled units?
    Reason I ask is because I already have the 500 bundle, but if I decide to upgrade I'd like to know if I could just get the 510 unit or have to get the whole bundle.
    If not identical, they certainly would work since both sets use ANT+ to communicate.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this thread. Like you I am on the same fence. I think what is selling me on the 510 are the comments concerning the much improved reception over the 500.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    worth noting that the 510 has GLONASS (Russia's version of GPS) support, which the 500, 800, and 810 don't have. Should be more accurate at the satellite level as a result.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Bundled equipment is identical!

mtbr member
    If not identical, they certainly would work since both sets use ANT+ to communicate.
    Bundled equipment is identical!
    Thanks guys.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

willtsmith_nwi
    ... And to boot, I got full satellite reception within 5 seconds in my house. Compare that to the 25 minutes outside with a clear view of the sky my 500 took, and I'm a happy camper
    I'll echo that sentiment. I get satellite lock INSIDE. It's a great unit.

willtsmith_nwi
    The 510 bundle also comes with an out front mount.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    My dividend showed up last Saturday.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    My dividend showed up last Saturday.
    I raced to check online to see if mine was available...it wasn't

But, you've given me hope!

mtbr member
    One feature that I'm surely looking forward to is the wireless upload with the mobile app. Using the USB on my FR305 for uploads seems so antiquated...
    But having to do manual uploads from Garmin Connect to Strava also seems like a step backwards
    Sure would be cool if someone could develop an app or reprogram the 510 to sync directly Strava...

Ride More, Work Less
    Look at Garmin Connect Synchronization.

Garmin Connect Syncronization - Automatically copy Garmin Connect activities to RunKeeper, Strava and MapMyFitness

I'm piloting it now to connect garmin connect to runkeeper in preparation for my 510. I have years worth of data in Runkeeper that I want to keep active and current, but will be switching the recording device shortly. The good news is that the sync tool works just fine. It takes ~15 minutes for the activities to cross, but it doesn't require any user interaction.

The current implementation for Strava requires a password to be supplied once, but that is rumored to be fixed shortly. If you feel comfortable supplying your password, it will work for you.

mtbr member
    heyyall- that's cool! Oh and thanks for helping me decide to blow another few hundred bux!

Ride More, Work Less

Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    heyyall- that's cool! Oh and thanks for helping me decide to blow another few hundred bux!
    My pleasure

mtbr member
    I got my yesterday as Performance Bike had a one day sale of 15% off.

The Out-Front mount made me nervous on my MTB so I put it on my road bike.

Tomorrow will be my first day to test it. I have been using a 305 and my wife has a 500 so I have a lot to compare it to.

mtbr member
    Bailey44- so how do you like your new toy?
    I'm expecting mine tuesday

mtbr member
    Bailey44- so how do you like your new toy?
    I'm expecting mine tuesday
    I have 3 rides on mine so far. It seems to me more accurate on mileage and heart rate than my 500, easier to see secondary to the size and then there is the cool factor.

It was neat after our night ride last night, to pop a top on a IPA.,set on a bench and show everyone the data that was transferred over to my phone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I raced to check online to see if mine was available...it wasn't

But, you've given me hope!
    Mine still isn't available either I hope it shows up soon, I need to buy more bike mounts for my roof rack!!

I'm definitely enjoying my 510, and haven't had any satellite problems like I was having on my 500. I still plug mine into Strava after every ride, but am enjoying the auto upload to Garmin. The only thing that is bugging me is the severe weather alerts, I think I'll have to turn off that feature. I live in Wyoming, I really don't need to be reminded that it's windy outside...

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    I have the 810 which shares many features with the 510.

It well worth the little extra money, at least to me.

Plus the 500/800 are on the way out.

The 510 is misnamed. From reading, my understanding is that the 510 is meant to be a separate pricepoint and a different device altogether with it's color touchscreen.

willtsmith_nwi
    Sure would be cool if someone could develop an app or reprogram the 510 to sync directly Strava...
    It's more likely that Strava would enhance their app to upload the Garmin Connect Mobile data.

mtbr member
    I put my first ride in on my 501 yesterday and I'm pleased. Initial set up was pretty easy- even for a 51 yo borderline technophobe . I paired it to speed/cadence and HR monitors and my Samsung S3, downloaded the Garmin mobile app and also signed up for the above linked Garmin connect sync. I mounted it on the stem as the out front seemed vulnerable in an OTB situation.
    The screen and font is easily for my old eyes to read- using 3 big and 2 small data fields. Contrast is good and brightness adjustable- I cranked it up to the max just to see battery drain effect. Ran it for 2.5 hours on a 95% charge and it pulled down to "83%" charge- we'll see how linear this discharge trend goes- I'd be surprised if I get the advertised 18 hours out of a charge but whatever in this day of daily charging our portable electronics/connectivity.... There is a day (black on white) and night ( white digits on black screen), and an auto back light setting. It is pretty intuitive a layout, but I'm not really crazy about the whole touch screen idea still ( my S3 is my first smart phone,too LOL)
    After my ride the sync was quick to Garmin connect, but it took a while for that to upload to Strava via the sync link. I sent a Live Link to my GF to follow, and she said that it was not a true continual live link, but more a point in time map that could be refreshed for updates, and worked better on a desktop than her cell. I'm not sure about the accuracy yet. I ran Strava on my cell simultaneously and they were within about 3% (26.6 and 27.4 miles)
    So far I'm a happy camper.
    Anyone want a FR305 with a short attention span?
    Last edited by Noclutch; 03-14-2013 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I have six rides on my 510 and love it. Accuracy is solid and paired with a HRM it is a useful training tool. Live track is pretty neat as well. My girlfriend will pull it up on her computer while she is at work and send me messages to mash harder.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I know the premium bundle comes with the "out front" mount, but does anyone know if the 510 will fit on a K-Edge mount? And by that i mean is there enough room from the center of the K-Edge mount to the handlebars, because I know the 510 is about 2 cm longer than the 500.

Ride More, Work Less
    My REI dividend was posted to my account today. I immediately added a 510 bundle to the cart and I was out the virtual front door with a new 510. I should be set for the weekend, provided it arrives on the projected day (Friday)!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I got my REI refund as well. It was very tempting to just grab it in the store today but I was told the 20% off member coupons will be coming this weekend. The wait continues.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    I got my REI refund as well. It was very tempting to just grab it in the store today but I was told the 20% off member coupons will be coming this weekend. The wait continues.
    I called REI to ask if it could be used for the GPS unit. They said no. That is what I remembered, but I thought for $80, it was worth a phone call.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Interesting. I wasn't sure if it would be valid on such a big purchase. Well looks like I may be picking it up tomorrow then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So I pulled the trigger on the 510 bundle today, to me the far superior satellite receiver convinced me to get it. I have had troubles with my 500 always recording around 30% less elevation gain than my buddy who also has a 500, so I figured time to upgrade. The live tracking, touch screen, bigger screen, and bike profiles are cool features as well and the phone connectivity looks interesting as well. Should have mine by Thursday or Friday if the shipping goes smoothing, and if I have good weather ( big IF living in Canada) I'll take it on a road ride and put my thoughts on it here. Can't wait for the weekend!

Ride More, Work Less
    I got the impression it wasn't the price, but just a standard practice they have for GPS units (and a few other exclusions).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, you're right. They put the details of this years coupon online and as usual it excludes GPS items.

From their website

"Discounts not valid on any item with GPS technology"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Got mine yesterday, only took one day to ship from amazon, will give a short review of it on the weekend, pretty sweet little device though.

mtbr member
    The only thing that is bugging me is the severe weather alerts, I think I'll have to turn off that feature. I live in Wyoming, I really don't need to be reminded that it's windy outside...
    Shooshee- so just how does one turn off the stoooopid weather alerts anyways??

In Florida, "severe" weather is a frost (yea LOL) and a pesky "Weather alert/English watch" is popping up on my screen tonight that 1) I could not actually view, nor 2) delete or dismiss, nor 3) keep it from coming back repeatedly during my evening ride thus making my screen basically unusable....grrrr. I went through all the settings (I think) and couldn't find any mention of weather warning settings.

Otherwise this thing rocks! User friendly, intuitive, great connectivity. But I have to get this useless feature disabled because summertime is coming, and with that will come....."severe storm warnings"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You can turn off the alerts from your phone, its under my device. Does anyone know how to make the speed sensor the default for distance? From my testing even with GPS turned off it would only register speed not distance. I was just spinning the wheel in the stand but I don't think that would make any difference.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    You can turn off the alerts from your phone, its under my device. Does anyone know how to make the speed sensor the default for distance? From my testing even with GPS turned off it would only register speed not distance. I was just spinning the wheel in the stand but I don't think that would make any difference.
    I had this problem too. I did something and it worked out so that it now reads distance and speed on the trainer. Sorry, I don't recall what exactly it was, but I think I made sure the speed/cadence sensor was active in the bike I was using.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well now I know its possible, so thanks. I'll keep messing with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast