Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sitting on the Edge 500 or 510 fence?

My FR305 is getting pretty sketchy ( less than 2 hours per charge and occasional mystery beeps/freezes) and I'm going to need a replacement soon. I've read a plethora of 500 reviews/threads and DCrainmakers 510 review and still can't decide between the two....or just continuing to use my Galaxy S3 (which is surprisingly more accurate than my 305 mileage wise, though foregoes cadence and I've yet to get a Bluetooth HR monitor, and it seems the BT cadence counters are iFern only?)

So who else is straddling the 500/510 fence and why? (other than having to wait for the 510 to even hit the shelves)
    Last edited by Noclutch; 02-07-2013 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think I'm springing for a 510 as a replacement for my 500 vs. dealing with warrantying it through Garmin. My 500 has had horrid GPS reception and accuracy ever since they replaced the screen for me,and Garmin tech support just keeps telling me to reset it, which doesn't work. So I've decided I don't really want to mess with a 500 anymore. The 510 really appeals to me since it'll profile up to 10 bikes (I have 3, going on 4 in the next few months), and you can have profiles (training, race, etc) for what is shown on the screen. I'm not the biggest fan of it being touchscreen. And of course I'm definitely loving that it has the second satellite system, too.

Just waiting for them to get to stores...

Ninja Master Powers
    I have the 810 which shares many features with the 510.

It well worth the little extra money, at least to me.

Plus the 500/800 are on the way out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got mine yesterday. I have been using 500 for an year and compared to that 510 is very big and bulky. Live tracking feature is also dependent upon mobile reception and I have to make sure every time that I charge both. Touch screen isn't that useful shifting fields while riding the bike and has poor contrast in sunlight. I am not sure how they convinced themselves to enter the market with that big size considering all the road bikes and aero profiles.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input, zerodb. I think. A year and a half of lurking before your first post? Whatever works for ya
    So are you saying that the 510 has less screen contrast than the 500? Is it adjustable? (like my 305 is)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sitting on the Edge 500 or 510 fence?-img_20130214_164635.jpg
    Sorry. I didn't know that I have to post enough to comment about a product This is one of the few threads I found when I searched for 500 vs 510. Brightness can be changed but may be it's that pixely look that's weird. Device is almost as big as the stem.

mtbr member
    Thx for the pic zerodb! And welcome to MTBR I'm sure that many of us here would love to hear more feedback from you as you get more hours on it. Yea it is big, but at least the color scheme works on your (road) rig!

I don't see how that's a problem...but I guess roadies were complaining about the size of the Edge 500 when it came out, too. how else do you figure they would fit the additional radio and antenna into it? probably a bigger battery to power everything, too.

features have a price...size.

mtbr member
    I had the 205 and it died on me after a long life... upgraded to the 500 and it was even better and is still going strong. From what I have heard the 510 is awesome and even better then the 500. I played with it a bit at the shop and it was awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I received my 510 last week and have used it on three rides so far and love it. Coming from a 305 (which finally gave up) it is a quantum leap to say the least! Still getting used to everything but one of the biggest immediate differences is the lightning fast download speeds. Takes about 3-5 seconds on Garmin or Strava vs. the 30-40 seconds it used to take.

Pairs up with all my accessories VERY quickly and is very intuitive.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and it has worked flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got my hands on a 510 today... so very completely utterly happy with it! Definitely a huge improvement over the 500 in my eyes. Just a lot more user friendly IMO. And since I am going on 5 bikes, I love the fact it profiles up to 10! And to boot, I got full satellite reception within 5 seconds in my house. Compare that to the 25 minutes outside with a clear view of the sky my 500 took, and I'm a happy camper

I did a small, dorky write up on my blog: Unboxing & Review: Garmin Edge 510 Cycling Computer | outdoorgirlygirl

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That reminds me of one of the biggest surprises. I get satellite reception in my basement!! And it is significantly quicker than the 305 I replaced.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I saw a 510 under glass at REI. I liked the understated looks, especially compared to the bundle version of the 500.

It was hard to wait on my REI dividend (~3 more weeks).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I saw a 510 under glass at REI. I liked the understated looks, especially compared to the bundle version of the 500.

Oh man, it is definitely hard to wait for those dividends to come! I feel your pain! Mine is probably going towards more bike mounts for my Thule rack. I'm such an impatient person, that's why I jumped on the 510.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Oh man, it is definitely hard to wait for those dividends to come! I feel your pain! Mine is probably going towards more bike mounts for my Thule rack. I'm such an impatient person, that's why I jumped on the 510.
    I tried to talk my wife into just going ahead and getting it. What if they were sold out when the dividend comes in? What if I don't have time to make it back to REI? What if.... Alas, waiting is the right thing since the weather outside isn't quite cooperating.

mtbr member
    For those that have used both the 500 and 510...Are the speed/cadence sensors and premium HR strap the same for both bundled units?
    Reason I ask is because I already have the 500 bundle, but if I decide to upgrade I'd like to know if I could just get the 510 unit or have to get the whole bundle.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Ride More, Whine Less

Sitting on the Edge 500 or 510 fence?

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    For those that have used both the 500 and 510...Are the speed/cadence sensors and premium HR strap the same for both bundled units?
    Reason I ask is because I already have the 500 bundle, but if I decide to upgrade I'd like to know if I could just get the 510 unit or have to get the whole bundle.
    If not identical, they certainly would work since both sets use ANT+ to communicate.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this thread. Like you I am on the same fence. I think what is selling me on the 510 are the comments concerning the much improved reception over the 500.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    worth noting that the 510 has GLONASS (Russia's version of GPS) support, which the 500, 800, and 810 don't have. Should be more accurate at the satellite level as a result.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Bundled equipment is identical!

mtbr member
    If not identical, they certainly would work since both sets use ANT+ to communicate.
    Bundled equipment is identical!
    Thanks guys.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

willtsmith_nwi
    ... And to boot, I got full satellite reception within 5 seconds in my house. Compare that to the 25 minutes outside with a clear view of the sky my 500 took, and I'm a happy camper
    I'll echo that sentiment. I get satellite lock INSIDE. It's a great unit.

willtsmith_nwi
    The 510 bundle also comes with an out front mount.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    My dividend showed up last Saturday.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    My dividend showed up last Saturday.
    I raced to check online to see if mine was available...it wasn't

But, you've given me hope!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast