mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Simple Bike Computer Question

I think

I want to know the best cyclocomputer for my bike(s). I am sure this is as straightforward a question as the best tires or chain lube. Here is the deal. I ride both mountain and road (mostly mountain) and I have been using the Strava app on my iphone. I like Strava it has renewed my desire to train harder (racer in recovery) so tracking my distance, time and gain are important. I also like the fact that the map of the route is captured as well. I don't use the app as a navigation tool, just set it and forget it. This is where the problem comes in, sometimes the app just shuts down and loses its way, only to offer to resume after my ride is over. This has happened enough times to make me want to find another solution. I don't need a map, nor do I want to spend $400 on a bike computer. I want to track time, distance, altitude gain, and if possible route. I would like to upload the data to my Strava account, automatic would be great (like the app) but if I had to plug it in I could bear that I suppose. I might want to track heart rate at some point as well. I would like all this under $200, if it was $100 even better.

Opinions brothers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any thoughts on the Garmin Forerunner 610?

Ride More, Whine Less

You can find the garmin edge 500 for under 200. You will need to manually upload the ride on your computer, but it only takes a second. If you want automatic, see if you can find a deal on the garmin 510 this weekend. There are several synch tools that automatically copy the rides from garmin connect and put them on strava.

Ride More, Whine Less

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    great link, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have come to the conclusion that the problem with my Strava app is that it is too cold for the iphone. I carry it in a pocket on my camelback shoulder strap. When I pull it out after the ride it is as cold as the ambient temperature in other words ICE! Although it would be cool to have all the functionality of the onboard computer, the reality is that I carry my phone all the time, I just want it to work better. I also think that there will be iphone watches soon that will integrate nicely with the phone giving me live reads of the Strava app. I am going to get a heart rate strap and ant+ which should give me a better handle on my efforts.

After looking at the rainmaker link I can only conclude that the 500 Edge is the minimum that would do what I want (heart rate, touch screen, auto update) and the iphone already does all this and more. The edge would be just one more thing to recharge, upload, etc. I also assume the app will continue to evolve and improve.