mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Sigma 906 Fatal Fall?

I was putting mt 906 back on the bike after work today for the commute home, and it fell from the handlebars and hit the hardwood floor, bounced, and now no longer has a display. I held down various buttons, pulled and replaced the battery, but nothing. Could it be dead from a three foot fall to the floor? If so, I'm not sure I want another one. Whats a good $20ish computer? Don't need anything fancy, just speed, trip time, trip distance, etc.

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008
    We were just having this conversation about Trail ready computers.

Surviving a crash (or a drop) is also a big issue with me. Yes, a product that is designed for off road use should be able to survive a three foot drop. You probably broke the LCD glass, or it became separated electrically somehow.

Or, maybe the $20 price tag is low enough that it doesn't need to survive, since it's cheap to replace. Would it be worth it to pay $20 more for a computer that would survive a drop?

Let us know how they handle it if you call for a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jparr
    I was putting mt 906 back on the bike after work today for the commute home, and it fell from the handlebars and hit the hardwood floor, bounced, and now no longer has a display. I held down various buttons, pulled and replaced the battery, but nothing. Could it be dead from a three foot fall to the floor? If so, I'm not sure I want another one. Whats a good $20ish computer? Don't need anything fancy, just speed, trip time, trip distance, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Trail
    We were just having this conversation about Trail ready computers.

Surviving a crash (or a drop) is also a big issue with me. Yes, a product that is designed for off road use should be able to survive a three foot drop. You probably broke the LCD glass, or it became separated electrically somehow.

Or, maybe the $20 price tag is low enough that it doesn't need to survive, since it's cheap to replace. Would it be worth it to pay $20 more for a computer that would survive a drop?

Let us know how they handle it if you call for a warranty.
    Maybe I'm demanding too much from a $20 computer, huh? ;-) I've just gotten back in to biking after nearly a decade absent. My last computer was non-removable, gave speed and total distance only, and cost nearly $100, but it lasted through rain and crashes and far more abuse than it should have, didn't stop working until some ******* ripped it off the bars.

I guess I'll just spend another $20 on a Sigma.