zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Sharing Tracks??

I have a 7mile loop tracked on my Garmin. My goal is to email this information to a friend. I've saved it as a .gpx (TopoFusion) and as a .gdb (MapSource) and attached the files to an email. Friend unable to open or load these files.

What can I do with a 'track' and send to a friend where they can easily view and load the track / waypoints to their Garmin?

Always learning. Thx.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Try Garminconnect.com

Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    I have a 7mile loop tracked on my Garmin. My goal is to email this information to a friend. I've saved it as a .gpx (TopoFusion) and as a .gdb (MapSource) and attached the files to an email. Friend unable to open or load these files.

What can I do with a 'track' and send to a friend where they can easily view and load the track / waypoints to their Garmin?

Always learning. Thx.
    why can your friend not open the .gpx? does he have the correct software?

As already mentioned, you can use a sharing site and you won't have to e-mail it to anyone. Just a link.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I dont think garminconnect can share waypoints. But the track should be fine.

mtbr dismember

Google Earth

Google Earth will display gpx files. Look in the "open file" options. But you can just share a link to the activity on Garmin Connect. Members have the option to see and do more than non-members, and membership is free.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    OK, getting this figured out: So, said friend falls into the basic or common mistake. You cannot simply 'double click' onto an attached .gpx file. You must right click on it, save it onto your computer and then Import that file into your software (MapSource or Topo Fusion).

Now I'm setup with Garmin Connect and I've downloaded Base Camp. I've gotten this loop onto Connect but I do not see any difference between MapSource and Base Camp ... What is the advantage or gain with Base Camp?

So much to learn. THX!
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    OK, getting this figured out: So, said friend falls into the basic or common mistake. You cannot simply 'double click' onto an attached .gpx file. You must right click on it, save it onto your computer and then Import that file into your software (MapSource or Topo Fusion).

Now I'm setup with Garmin Connect and I've downloaded Base Camp. I've gotten this loop onto Connect but I do not see any difference between MapSource and Base Camp ... What is the advantage or gain with Base Camp?

So much to learn. THX!
    mapsource is no longer in development, AFAIK. Basecamp is the replacement, and the primary difference, aside from basic interface changes, is that it allows you to download BirdsEye imagery and topo maps. I like Mapsource's interface better, but I only use either of those programs when I want to put maps onto my Oregon.

I prefer Topofusion for track management and mapping/planning. It's not free, but there's an unlimited free version with some limited functionality.

Regarding your friend - I expected something like this would have been the problem. Once a .gpx file is on the computer, it just needs to be opened with a compatible program. Some programs will associate with the .gpx file format and allow double-clicking to open it in that program (once it's downloaded, of course). .gpx is a much more portable file format than .gdb. I feel sorry for anyone who gets one of those as a file attachment. With .gdb, you're pretty much limited to Garmin's software. GPSBabel might be able to convert it, but why bother when you can send a format that's easier to open in more programs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been using mapping-support to share my rides ( Gmap4 - Share Enhanced Google Maps with detailed topographic maps (USA and Canada) )... Here is one I rode earlier in the week http://tinyurl.com/7qooq6r

mtbr member
    Glad to see this thread. I just got onto Garmin Connect and downloaded Base Camp so I could share a route but couldn't see (immediately) how to share the link. Do I just open that route then copy and paste the stuff in the address window. I didn't see an option for "sharing a route" and the only option in the "Send to" box was to Connect.

KRob-------> Total GPS noooob.

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Glad to see this thread. I just got onto Garmin Connect and downloaded Base Camp so I could share a route but couldn't see (immediately) how to share the link. Do I just open that route then copy and paste the stuff in the address window. I didn't see an option for "sharing a route" and the only option in the "Send to" box was to Connect.

KRob-------> Total GPS noooob.
    easiest way would be to just sent the link you copy from the address bar in your browser. whoever you send it to can just download the .gpx file themselves (via the export button on the activity page). however, you can also click the "share" button when you're inside the activity to put it on a social networking site, get the embed code for the forums, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    easiest way would be to just sent the link you copy from the address bar in your browser. whoever you send it to can just download the .gpx file themselves (via the export button on the activity page). however, you can also click the "share" button when you're inside the activity to put it on a social networking site, get the embed code for the forums, etc.
    Ok, so I just realized that Base Camp and Garmin Connect aren't automatically connected to each other.

The route is uploaded onto Base Camp and I can export it to My Documents Library. From there I just right clicked and sent it to an email recipient.

What I can't figure out (and what should be obvious I would think) is how do I get the file from My Collection on Base Camp to my Garmin Connect "Activities" tab/page.

Do I have to upload it directly from my GPS device again?

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ok, so I just realized that Base Camp and Garmin Connect aren't automatically connected to each other.

The route is uploaded onto Base Camp and I can export it to My Documents Library. From there I just right clicked and sent it to an email recipient.

What I can't figure out (and what should be obvious I would think) is how do I get the file from My Collection on Base Camp to my Garmin Connect "Activities" tab/page.

Do I have to upload it directly from my GPS device again?
    You can manually upload the file from your hard drive to Garmin Connect or you can upload it straight from the GPS.

What I do is download from my GPS to Topofusion, which creates a .gpx file on my hard drive. This way, I always have local backups of my GPS tracks in case whatever online service I'm using for hosting my files goes down or whatever (personal experience with the Motionbased->Garmin Connect transfer). Then I will upload that .gpx file on my hard drive to whatever site I'm using.

beater
    Resurrection. I'm a fan of Hillmap. You can drag and drop a .gpx file from your hardrive or an email into the browser and explore it there. It would be hard to be any easier. You can compare maps and aerials side by side or close one window if preferred. It's really flexible.

I also save my .gpx files on my hardrive, and usually put them on GarminConnect, but for quickly viewing one, this is the easiest I've found.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.