mtbr member
    May 2007

Setting a waypoint for correct elevation readings

I read on the Garmin forums of people needing to do this. How would I even know I need too?

I see it's not that hard to pull up the trailheads start elevation on Google Earth. It seem a bit of work as I go multiple places.

Should I set waypoints for each start point?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

I'm your density
    I assume you want to do this so you can calibrate your baro altimeter at the start of each ride?

It's strange that Google Earth doesn't add an elevation value when you create a Placemark (or am I missing that it actually does???).

You could create a Google Earth folder of Placemarks representing all your starting waypoints and save it as a KML file. Then run that KML file through the converter at gpsvisualizer.com and specify that you want to add DEM elevation data. Specify the output as GPX. Download the resulting converted file to your computer and then load it onto your GPS unit (there are several ways to do that -- manual drag & drop, MapSource, etc.).

I don't know if MapSource, BaseCamp or other SW can do this without the intermediate GPSVisualizer step. I'm going to check it out when I get home.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

sheep in FOX clothing
    I concur setting it up was a pain in the ass with the Edge500, as I never figured out a way to import elevation waypoints from a GPX file (or any other normal GIS format) and had to go out and walk around while pressing numerical scroll buttons dozens of times.

As I just finished gushing on the other thread, It was very, very worthwhile once it was done. But then, all my rides start from one or two or three points.