mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Which SD Card for 705?

It looks like the 705 uses a micro SD card, but there is nothing in the manual about what parameters matter. Can any capacity card be used or is it limited to 2 GB? Is a high speed card speed access by the 705 or is the cpu in the 705 the limiting factor and the older slower cards work as well as the faster ones? Anyone know?

(Not a very good manual).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I believe the largest size currently is the 4gb so no need getting anything larger yet.CS told me that was the max size for my 60CSx with latest update. You might want to double check with Garmin for the Edge.
    Any name brand should be fine, and they are so cheap now.
    One CS also told me there might be some issues with Kingston branded cards as one of mine was shutting down my GPS. However after clearing the card via disk utility it is fine.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I think it's limited to 2GB, at least that's what I've got in mine. With several different maps repeatedly covering big chunks of the US I don't think I've used over a GB yet.

mtbr member
    at the moment only use normal 2GB card.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I can confirm that the 4gb card will not work.

Explore More
    Question: What type and size of Micro SD card will my Edge 605 / 705 work best with?

Answer: The maximum data card size compatible with the Edge 605 / 705 is a 2GB microSD Non High Capacity data card.
    Last modified on: 03/18/2009

Question: Is there a particular manufacturer of the micro SD cards that is recommended for use with the X series GPS units?

Answer: Although any brand of the microSD card should work without any problems, Garmin recommends using SanDisk or Kingston brand cards. The only exception is that the SanDisk Ultra II 1 Gb cards are currently not compatible with the X-series Garmin GPS units.

Last modified on: 06/01/2007

The info was straight from the Garmin Q&A support pages.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks, clears that up.