mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Saving location files

Just a quickie - Garmin 605/705..

I have many stored locations on my unit which I would like to back up (just incase I ever need to reset/reformat my unit).. but I am unsure which files or file extension I should be looking to back up from my unit.. I have GPX and TCX files and a GPX reader but seem unable to identify which files are actually the ones which are storing my saved locations.. any help appreciated..

mtbr member
    They both store locations. I believe Garmin makes TCX files.

Garmin Edge Users - GPX versus TCX file? [Archive] - Bike Forums

are you talking about waypoints?

most models store them in a file called waypoints.gpx. not sure about the Edge models. I never saved waypoints on mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah.. I guess they would be waypoints - it is when I am somewhere and I save that location and then I later I use it as it then shows up my route and also my estimated time of arrival.. it is just there so many files on my Garmin I was not too sure if I just save them all and then if it was easy to restore them back to the unit should I ever lose them.. some of them are just for the holiday memories so are not easily replaceable.. cheers..

mtbr dismember

Easy to find out

Make a new waypoint. Hook your GPS up to your computer, browse the folders, and sort the files by date/time.