Tigers love pepper...

Rino 120 - Clip "button" repair?

Don't know what to call it really.... it's the little black "button" thing that screws into the back for belt clips etc...

Only had my handlebar mount on for a month or so and came bombing down a rocky section only to watch my gps fly up in the air and slam into the slickrock. GPS was off, but I turned it back on and it seems to work fine.

The problem is that little button tore the thread out of the back of the GPS. I think I have a spare button somewhere but now there's no threads to screw it into. Any suggestions on a repair? Only thing I can think of is using some type of glue to hold the button into the back of the GPS, but what type? And can it possibly hold up to the abuse of riding? I really liked having my gps on the bars.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Rino Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Don't know what to call it really.... it's the little black "button" thing that screws into the back for belt clips etc...

Only had my handlebar mount on for a month or so and came bombing down a rocky section only to watch my gps fly up in the air and slam into the slickrock. GPS was off, but I turned it back on and it seems to work fine.

The problem is that little button tore the thread out of the back of the GPS. I think I have a spare button somewhere but now there's no threads to screw it into. Any suggestions on a repair? Only thing I can think of is using some type of glue to hold the button into the back of the GPS, but what type? And can it possibly hold up to the abuse of riding? I really liked having my gps on the bars.
    Without seeing how it broke out, i can not offer Repair suggestions for replacing the threaded cup in the back of your Rino unit, but i have had 3 RINO Handlebar mounts (and i have the NEWER Rino Mount versions) break off my bike due to excessive bouncing on Rough trails at Speed. I DO recommend that you TIGHTLY ZIP-TIE the Radio Mount to the RAIL MOUNT when you ride with the RINO - the 2 pieces Slide-fit together SO loosely that the Plastic mounts break off when the going gets rough. The Zip-Tie, if it is Tight enough, will prevent the RINO from Bouncing and that should keep it on the bike. If you search this forum for RINO, i have a post or 2 about this ISSUE. Hope this helps
    Last edited by UN-COG-KNEE-TOE; 09-11-2009 at 09:09 PM.

I have a Rino 120 and I know exactly what part you're talking about. It's a little brass fitting that's press-fit into the back of the GPS housing. Were you able to recover the brass fitting? I think if you lost it, you're SOL. You could try gluing the button back on, but a glue that reliably holds both metal and plastic well will be hard to find. Go to a hardware store and ask.

I think that button thing is one of the worst mounting systems I've ever seen. That stupid belt clip failed on me regularly. I don't use my Rino 120 anymore...I'd offer it to you, but it doesn't even work anymore. NOT a bike-capable GPS, IMO. Better off with an eTrex. The radio on the thing sucks monkey balls, too.

Tigers love pepper...
    Yup, it's the threaded brass fitting. I bought the Rino 120 for hunting mainly. The Radio/GPS combo allowing you to see where others in your group are is really nice. Especially when you want to meet up somewhere. But I agree the radio SUCKS. Way worse than a cheapo Motorolla radio.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new GPS just for hiking/biking. Maybe I can talk the wife into it.......

Yeah, it is worse than a cheap motorola. I bought some of those for a caravan road trip, and found the Rino just was not reliable. Now, if I need a radio, I bring the motorola and leave the Rino home. I have a 76CSx which is a better GPS, too. I also have an Edge 705 for biking I just bought so I don't have to use the monster on the h-bars.

A radio is a good thing if you do the occasional big group ride (I've done a few with nearly 100 riders), because the group WILL split into faster and slower riders and it's good to keep in touch on the ride.

Tigers love pepper...
    I have looked a bit at the 76CSx, but also the 60Cx. What's the main difference? the 76CSx mention being "Marine friendly". Is it more waterproof/resistant than the 60? Both say "Blue Chart g2" compatible on the product page.

I do want the barometer and electronic compass on my next GPS..... then again I could probably just as easily get away with an etrex for hiking/biking.

The only differences are that the 76 floats better (the 60 will float with lithium batteries only, but the 76 will float with even the heaviest batteries), they have a different button layout, and the memory card access is different (for the 60, you must remove the batteries to access the memory card. for the 76, you do not). Otherwise, they are the same. I have the 76 because I paddle a lot and would like to recover the GPS if I dropped it in the water. I usually lash it to a canoe thwart, though.