mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New question here. Replacement for Garmin Quest... suggestions?

I've been using an old Garmin Quest for some time and whilst it's proved to be fantastically reliable I'm starting to come up against some of its limitations so I'm looking for a replacement.

Problem is, seems that a number of the newer models don't seem to have the one feature I love; the compass mode for routes.

On the quest I can upload a (limited size) route with invisible via points and just have the Quest showing me a compass bearing for each via point in the route. This works perfectly at speed as I don't have to concentrate on the screen and find myself wrapped around a tree. As best I can see, the Edge 500 has nothing like this, with only a small breadcrumb trail to follow and an indication of where you are on that breadcrumb trail (below). Though I might be wrong.

The Edge 205 / 305 seem to have it, but they have a similar limitation in track points making them unsuitable (I recently couldn't follow a route on the Quest because simplifying it ended up mangling it so badly that it was no longer accurate enough to use). The Edge 800 does seem to, though it's probably more than I would want to spend.

I think the Edge 605 / 705 has it but I'm not entirely sure, nor do I know the limitation on points for that model.

Anyone got any suggestions? Maybe going for a non cycling model would be best? In case people are not sure what I mean, here's an image of the compass screen I use on the Quest when navigating a route:

The Quest is such an old model that a lot of the terminology has changed.

Most folks don't navigate routes anymore. Tracks are the main currency these days.

And just about any handheld will follow a track the same way you describe you use with your current GPS.

The bike and other fitness models function a little bit differently. The Edge 800 shares a lot of features with the handhelds, but for the most part, the bike and fitness models are less about navigation and more about fitness competition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are you sure? Try as I might I haven't been able to find one example of the Edge 500 having that compass style screen for following tracks / courses / anything. The only thing I've been able to find is the image I posted above (which is fairly useless to me unless I want to stop and look at it all the time). These seem to be the main screens for it:

I know the 205 and 305 have functionality that covers what I'm after, but again, as best I am aware the number of navigation points are too limited for what I need (I'm looking for at least 1,000 points per route / track / whatever). I know there are supposed to be workarounds but I basically want the simplest path from GPSies / RIDE to the GPS.

...and yeah, the 800 would be perfect, but it's so, so expensive. What about maybe something like the Dakota 20 or the Oregon 450? I don't really mind if they're chunky.

Edit - This is the Dakota 20 apparently:

That's just what I'm looking for, I just need to find out what the point limits are. At first glance it seems to be about 10,000 per track, which would do just fine.
    Last edited by Psychotext; 10-07-2012 at 04:34 PM.

big difference between the Dakota 20 and Oregon 450 is going to be the screen and overall unit size, with the Oregon being a bit bigger on both fronts. There are some other smaller differences. There was actually a Dakota 30 which was an almost perfect overlap with the Oregon 450 on every feature but screen size/battery life. If you can find one of those used, it would be quite nice.

I use an Oregon 450. I am quite happy with the way it works for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks. Seems the Dakota 30 never made it to Europe... or at least not eBay in Europe.

I think I may end up going for the Dakota 20 as a temporary measure (it's actually a similar size / weight to the Quest), maybe even getting one used. Eventually I want to get an Edge 800 (or successor) but I'm in no great rush to spend that sort of money right now.

I think the 500 would have been perfect, but old habits die hard and I really want that old compass view!