Vegan on the S-Works

Replacement for Garmin 800?

When is the new version of the 800 coming out crew?

The 310xt just got replaced with the 910xt. Anyone heard anything about the Garmin 800 for 2013?

Cheers in advance.

lol, the same sort of mentality as the "when's the next iphone come out?" crowd.

Vegan on the S-Works
    when is the next iphone coming out too?

Oh hang on, I don't even own a mobile phone.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I would think that products like the Edge series are a fringe market for Garmin, compared to automotive GPS etc. Certainly compared to most other modern consumer electronics they seem a bit bigger and clunkier, sort of like a mobile phone that's 10 years old. My guess is any new version is at least 2 years away.

mtbr member
    It is kind of crazy that we, as consumers, have been trained to expect product cycles of 6 months to 1 year for consumer electronics. I agree, I think the edge series has more like a 3-4 year update cycle so I would not hold my breath for anything this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I would think that products like the Edge series are a fringe market for Garmin, compared to automotive GPS etc. Certainly compared to most other modern consumer electronics they seem a bit bigger and clunkier, sort of like a mobile phone that's 10 years old. My guess is any new version is at least 2 years away.
    the automotive market is actually on the decline. in-dash systems are a big part of that, I think. smartphones are whittling it down on the other side. Garmin is only a fairly recent entrant to the in-dash automotive market, surprisingly.

I think Garmin's biggest market money-wise is through aviation and marine hardware.

I think there will always be a market for the more basic, less expensive options. But I do see some big changes on the horizon for the higher end gear. The technology is there to do some quality work. the chunky appearance has more to do with additional ruggedizing that most modern consumer electronics don't get. and I'm pretty sure that Garmin hasn't gone to more advanced internals because of cost.

I think there's a balance that can be struck, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A google search on "garmin edge 900" will tell you sometime this year. I wouldn't trust the accuracy though one site claimed they had one for a test.

I really like the idea but have a hard time spending full price for what seems like 5 y/o technology.

Quote Originally Posted by goldsbar View Post
    A google search on "garmin edge 900" will tell you sometime this year. I wouldn't trust the accuracy though one site claimed they had one for a test.

I really like the idea but have a hard time spending full price for what seems like 5 y/o technology.
    And what site was that? I saw a lot of speculation (like here) and I saw a BikeRadar post about a wish list of features.

I saw a search result pointing to one of those crappy review/commentary sites (blitzreview) where people write about stuff they don't know anything about. The site wouldn't even load on my end.

Vegan on the S-Works
    Ive never had a drivers license personally. The Garmin 800 looks like a great product for my travels as I don't have a phone either.

My shopping bike is my racing bike. I think Im the only person that runs a bob trailer and a power tap at the same time. I swapped my titanium speedplays for xtr pedals so I can walk around the shops easier.