mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Refurbished Garmin 500s

Worth it or not? Looking to snag one of these soon(with a HR strap). I know there are multiple places to find used/refurb'd ones, so I'm curious if anyone has gone this route and had any problems.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Curious as to other replies as well.

sheep in FOX clothing
    My new Garmin HRM strap lasted all of 20 rides and didn't give meaningful info during that time period.

So yeah, I wouldn't go refurb on that.

Is there any kind of warranty? The power button on my 500 has been pretty flaky, to the point that I now have trouble turning it on.

trail rat
    There are a bunch of 500 threads in the forums here if you look. Many have issues using a road designed GPS on trails, some are happy.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For MTB I'd go 305, 705 or 800 depending on need &/or budget. For versatility I'd go 450.

mtbr member
    I have a refurbished Garmin 500 with HRM/cadence sensors and its worked perfectly since I got it about 8 months ago. I've also used it running as a a watch which seemed to be accurate enough for me. Only complaint I would say is on very tight switchback trails the mileage will come up short and the end of the day because it cuts some of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    I have a refurbished Garmin 500 with HRM/cadence sensors and its worked perfectly since I got it about 8 months ago. I've also used it running as a a watch which seemed to be accurate enough for me. Only complaint I would say is on very tight switchback trails the mileage will come up short and the end of the day because it cuts some of them.
    sounds ok for me...