mtbr member
    May 2007

Recalibrate a Garmin 800. It shows me off the road, a lot.

I've noticed my Garmin 800 seems to be off enough that I don't show on Strava segments. Not that I could get many KOM's, if any, but I wanted to track my progress.

I noticed the same routes don't always show me on the same segments.

Any way to fix this??

Bellow is a path of a road ride I like to train with. This part is on an open road. I'm off the mapped road by 40 ft or so.

Recalibrate a Garmin 800.  It shows me off the road, a lot.-off_gps-garmin.jpg
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Have you checked for firmware updates, done any hard or soft resets, talked to Garmin customer support?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I've noticed my Garmin 800 seems to be off enough that I don't show on Strava segments. Not that I could get many KOM's, if any, but I wanted to track my progress.

I noticed the same routes don't always show me on the same segments.

Any way to fix this??

Bellow is a path of a road ride I like to train with. This part is on an open road. I'm off the mapped road by 40 ft or so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off_gps-garmin.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	718820
    The 4 I had (3 being warranty replacements) did that, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I am curious about possible map errors, too. can one of you guys post a link to a ride that does this so I can overlay it on different maps on my computer?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I am curious about possible map errors, too. can one of you guys post a link to a ride that does this so I can overlay it on different maps on my computer?
    here you go

there is not a calibration problem with your file. If you look at the uphill portion of your ride, the track matches up with the road pretty much spot on. You don't start getting the deviations from the road until you start going downhill (picking up speed). I found the spot in your screen shot. It is on this downhill portion.

There is really not much you can do about that. The faster you go, the lower the accuracy, especially when you've got multipath going on (signal bounce off of trees, hills, tall buildings).

About the best you can do is set your GPS to do 1 sec recording and just deal with the results. A speed/cad sensor will at least ensure that your distance measurements are accurate.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    there is not a calibration problem with your file. If you look at the uphill portion of your ride, the track matches up with the road pretty much spot on. You don't start getting the deviations from the road until you start going downhill (picking up speed). I found the spot in your screen shot. It is on this downhill portion.

There is really not much you can do about that. The faster you go, the lower the accuracy, especially when you've got multipath going on (signal bounce off of trees, hills, tall buildings).

About the best you can do is set your GPS to do 1 sec recording and just deal with the results. A speed/cad sensor will at least ensure that your distance measurements are accurate.
    Thanks Nate.
    I was hoping there was some cool trick to help this. I do have my gps set to 1 sec recording. It is downhill, in and out of trees and next to mtns. I guess I'm expecting military accuracy, but that's unrealistic.

I do have a speed/cad sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Thanks Nate.
    I was hoping there was some cool trick to help this. I do have my gps set to 1 sec recording. It is downhill, in and out of trees and next to mtns. I guess I'm expecting military accuracy, but that's unrealistic.

I do have a speed/cad sensor.
    I have no shortage of cool tricks. but the cool trick I know to put the trail on the roads is not going to help you because it requires multi-thousand-dollar GIS analysis software, and, it would scrub your speed stats from the track.