• 12-02-2012
    thomllama
    1 Attachment(s)
    Reason I'll never trust Strava "race/segment" times....
    Cause this happens... LOLOLOLOL
    I was FLYING!!! :p

    Don't bother with Strava's little posted race times, most of the good ones are really just GPS/hardware/software errors!!!
  • 12-02-2012
    plantdude
    Times like yours are the ones I like to flag. :)


    Sent from a tiny keyboard
  • 12-02-2012
    NateHawk
    let me guess, cell phone?

    strava is supposed to be a little diversionary fun, anyway. it's not serious, no matter what the stravatards do.
  • 12-02-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    let me guess, cell phone?

    strava is supposed to be a little diversionary fun, anyway. it's not serious, no matter what the stravatards do.

    yup...


    heeeeeeeheeee ya my point,,, know a few that take it all serious and HAVE to have the best time or what ever on a segment... dumbasses :p
  • 12-02-2012
    NateHawk
    yeah, I haven't seen bad points like that from a dedicated GPS in a number of years.

    as for people taking it too seriously...yeah, bound to happen. there's a few guys on my local trails who use Strava, but I haven't noticed any of that overcompetitiveness from them. I think most of the segments have different guys as the KOM, too. I also think I'm the only guy using a dedicated GPS receiver. I think everyone else is using a phone of some kind or another.

    there are some trails farther away that I ride somewhat infrequently that are used as a race course (for actual closed course races) and so there are guys out there who train on the course, so I'm sure there are some overcompetitive types who ride there.
  • 12-02-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    yeah, I haven't seen bad points like that from a dedicated GPS in a number of years.................

    ya, I have NEVER gotten THAT far off on my phone,.. I have it strapped the the shoulder strap on my pack so it's not blocked or anything (like in a pocket or inside the pack) I've gotten odd-off readings but that's one for the record books,... as I was actually sitting still playing with my Contour cam at that point... LOLOL actually I think that's the cause, I stopped for a bit, the GPS software auto paused, and it took a bit before it realized I was moving again and just auto filled in the difference in distance.. still pretty funny
  • 12-02-2012
    NateHawk
    you have a couple other speed spikes in your graph that don't really seem to correspond to any downhill segments, but I can't really tell what scale the speed graph is on so it's hard to say.
  • 12-02-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    you have a couple other speed spikes in your graph that don't really seem to correspond to any downhill segments, but I can't really tell what scale the speed graph is on so it's hard to say.

    well you can check it out...

    Back to the old haunt, Rocky Neck - Walking trip | EveryTrail

    if you move the mouse along the graph it'll give ya read outs... only other spike that doesn't seem right is just a bit after that where it comes up saying 43 miles an hour... umm not.. actually, again I think it was a stop point as there are multiple trees down along that section still from the hurricane ... Elevations seem fine also except for those 2 point also..
  • 12-02-2012
    jasonjm
    i just raced a friend on an uphill, neck and neck to the finish he beat me by 1 bike length

    his strava time 1 minute 9 seconds

    my strava time, 1 minute 34 seconds

    awesome accuracy
  • 12-02-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    i just raced a friend on an uphill, neck and neck to the finish he beat me by 1 bike length

    his strava time 1 minute 9 seconds

    my strava time, 1 minute 34 seconds

    awesome accuracy

    really? 25 secs to do one bike length? I'd fall over going that slow :skep:
  • 12-02-2012
    jasonjm
    he had an iphone, Ive heard everything really is easier on an iphone, I guess this proves it.

    I think he just balanced the iphone on one of the pedals, and then his feet over the handlebars, and bam, he made the ascent in pretty good time.
  • 12-02-2012
    thomllama
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    he had an iphone, Ive heard everything really is easier on an iphone, I guess this proves it.

    I think he just balanced the iphone on one of the pedals, and then his feet over the handlebars, and bam, he made the ascent in pretty good time.

    if that's supposed to be humor.. I don't get it... :rolleyes:
  • 12-02-2012
    AndrwSwitch
    I flag my own when I do that. :p

    Actually, I find I like Strava a bit better than Garmin Connect for trying to pull some meaning out of plots. Maybe I'll have to get super-hardcore and find some more hard core software, now that I'm finally using a HRM.
  • 12-02-2012
    jasonjm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    if that's supposed to be humor.. I don't get it... :rolleyes:

    do you by chance have an iphone?
  • 12-02-2012
    NateHawk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I flag my own when I do that. :p

    Actually, I find I like Strava a bit better than Garmin Connect for trying to pull some meaning out of plots. Maybe I'll have to get super-hardcore and find some more hard core software, now that I'm finally using a HRM.

    It doesn't get much more hardcore than Training Peaks.
  • 12-03-2012
    skiing9689
    This has happened to me on several occasions, but I've always thought that it's due to my iphone temporarily losing connection. When it regains the GPS connection, strava has to interpolate speed from the last point before connection was lost to the point where it was regained. I've found that the segment time is still good as long as you have a GPS connection at the start/finish points.
  • 12-03-2012
    AndrwSwitch
    Just re-looked at Training Peaks. Yeow. Way too many things behind a paywall.

    Might just to teach Excel to strip the extraneous tags off a .tcx. It can almost do it already.
  • 12-03-2012
    NateHawk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by skiing9689 View Post
    This has happened to me on several occasions, but I've always thought that it's due to my iphone temporarily losing connection. When it regains the GPS connection, strava has to interpolate speed from the last point before connection was lost to the point where it was regained. I've found that the segment time is still good as long as you have a GPS connection at the start/finish points.

    No it is not a signal drop problem. It is the result of an inaccurate point recorded by the gps in a place where the signal reception is poor. You can delete outliers such as this and clean up the track manually if you can find them.
  • 12-03-2012
    NateHawk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Just re-looked at Training Peaks. Yeow. Way too many things behind a paywall.

    Might just to teach Excel to strip the extraneous tags off a .tcx. It can almost do it already.

    If you are serious about that kind of analysis, I think it's worth it. I would rather pay for the service than be buried in ads that get in the way
  • 12-03-2012
    gps4sport.com
    This is quite normal situation. You can't imagine how bad data ppl are sending in gps files to our service. Strava is no exception but on much bigger scale. Second thing to consider is very low quality gps receivers in smartphones.
  • 12-03-2012
    ghettocruiser
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    awesome accuracy

    Indeed, I've had 10-second Strava segment gaps appear among two riders who rode the whole climb side-by-side, both using Garmins. And that was on a paved road.

    If Garmin units are not set for 1-second recording, it's almost as bad as with a smart phone.

    There are a couple of on-line tools, including veloviewer, which can do a second opinion of a strava leaderboard to try and identify these mess-ups.

    I checked all the hotly-contested climbs around here, and Strava seems to have everyone in the top ten within a second of there real time. But that may be just dumb luck.
  • 12-26-2012
    jasonjm
    I gopro some of my shorter runs and use strava

    obviously its easy to see exact time on the gorpo as i can look at the clock when I enter the trail and when I exit

    on a short trail such as 55 seconds to 1 minute 05 seconds, the strava time is pretty much ALWAYS off by at least 3 seconds, up to 8 seconds, that is faster or slower - its random.

    definitely a fun tool, but strava is not to be taken seriously.