Thread: Racing the GPS

mtbr dismember

Racing the GPS

I used to run a lot and there is no stopping in running, even on a three hour run. So I have been very frustrated with both of my Garmin GPS units. On a long ride they pause hundreds of times while I'm climbing at my turtle pace. All those 5 - 10 second pauses eventually add up to several hours of embarrassing "stopped time" on a long Tahoe ride. So I always run the data though Topofusion to get accurate times.

Since the days are getting shorter I had to go back to New Melones, CA, today for the first time since last Spring. Although there are only about 12 miles of trails, they are rolling, and very fast for me. Despite a high over 100 degrees I decided to keep moving and see if I could get more accurate readings from my Edge 800. I put the unit on "record every second" and pause "when stopped." On a nearly three hour ride I only stopped once, for a few seconds to remove some plant material from my spokes. Topofusion says I stopped for 17 seconds, while Garmin Connect said I stopped for about a minute. Much better!

when I used an Edge 705 I turned the autopause function off completely, and let Topofusion calculate stopped times for me. the autopause function drove me batty when it was on for some reason.

mtbr member
    I turned the autopause feature on once on my edge 500 and found it very discouraging to have it pause as I was working my way up a steep section of the trail. I know that I am not setting any world records but having the unit laugh at me is not a great motivational tool. Auto pause is now set to off.

mtbr member
    What am I missing here?
    There is Time and Elapsed Time fields one stops and one doesn't respectively.
    Is the stopping doing something to the data? I know that Auto Stop beep is irritating. I shut that off.
    Ride it like you stole it.

mtbr dismember

Turned off autopause

Turned off autopause and only a few minutes difference over a 53 mile ride