mtbr member

Racing with Garmin 305

I just got a Garmin 305 and want to find out what other racers find as useful data on their displays. I mainly like to record data during the race so that I can nerd out on it afterwards, but would like to know what others are looking at during the race that helps them go faster. And don't say that your eyes should not be on your Garmin if you want to move faster.
    Right now I'm have (Speed, Last Lap, Current Lap, Avg. Lap, Last Lap Speed, Heart Rate)

I have a Cadence Sensor, but I keep it mounted on my road bike.

Motionbased username: drtsurfer
    Hey Bro, I eat burritos for lonch and deener!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Negro
    I just got a Garmin 305 and want to find out what other racers find as useful data on their displays. I mainly like to record data during the race so that I can nerd out on it afterwards, but would like to know what others are looking at during the race that helps them go faster. And don't say that your eyes should not be on your Garmin if you want to move faster.
    Right now I'm have (Speed, Last Lap, Current Lap, Avg. Lap, Last Lap Speed, Heart Rate)

I have a Cadence Sensor, but I keep it mounted on my road bike.

Motionbased username: drtsurfer
    honestly, i only really look at my HR and sometimes ave speed.

however, i have a good 6-7 fields or so displayed. i use them more when i am out road biking or mtb'ing for fun or practice. i just never feel like changing the display for each occasion so i fill up the screen with most of the "regular" options.

i only use my cadence on the road as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i think i really only look at HR, speed occasionally, and grade. on races where there are laps, i look at my lap counter and timer.

on one screen i have stats that constantly change like speed, grade, hr, lap time, lap distance, elevation. On second screen is summary stats, such as avg speed, total time, total distance, etc. but HR, speed and grade are the ones i like to use most, followed by time and distance counters.