mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Questions on Forerunner 405

I downloaded the Garmin Training Center software and played around with the 'workouts' feature. I also read the owners manual. I still have a couple of questions on it:

I don't see anything about audio alerts: for instance when going from one step to another in a preprogrammed workout, or if you exceed a speed / HR target (or go under that target). Will it beep to warn you of these things?

Can you just set a target zone and go riding and have it alert you if you go under / over that target? I may not know how long I am going out for but I'd like to keep my HR in a particular zone.

Can you store more than 1 workout on the 405 or do you need to upload a new one each time you want to change programs?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I can't help you with any of your questions, sorry, but I was wondering if you used the 405 in rain or when you were really sweaty (how's that for a creapy question ).

I read that some people have issues with the bezel when it gets wet. Just asking because I'm on the fence to get either the 405 or an Edge. I would just prefer the watch so much more.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

Flyin Pig
    I have the 305 and it would really surprise me if they got rid of features so...

The 305 gives audio and visual alerts for a pre-programmed workout. The custom workouts you could set whatever you want as a "zone" so either heart rate could trigger or speed could trigger an alert. So you could set audio alerts for being out of a zone for heart rate or speed as well.

There is room in the 305 for like 30 workouts or so. I made 5 custom workouts to do the couch to 5k training and had to delete some of the defaults. So unless the 405 has less memory than the 305 you should be able to put a bunch of workouts on it.

As far as water/rain - I've ridden/ran in mud, and rain, and I sweat A LOT and have had no problems with the 305. Now since they have a touch sensitive bezel on the 405, I don't know what water does to the sensitivity of the bezel. I don't think that should be the deciding factor on your form factor though. The Edge is nice with a large screen, you can display a lot of data and its much better for biking. The watch form factor is a good compromise if you want to do biking and other sports - skiing, running for me for example. I'm jealous of my wife's Edge when I bike but when I ski its much easier to just pull up the glove and look at the wrist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I finally broke down and bought the Forerunner 405. I know most people lean towards the Edge. Well, I really don't need the mapping capability since there is only 1 decent sized state park and it's hard to get lost. I do like the ability to look back on my rides and see where I have gone and compare speed on hills, etc.

Anyway, to answer a couple of my own questions and hopefully to help others out - here is what I have learned from using the unit so far:

There are different modes to 'train' in which is a little confusing.
    1. A simple distance or time workout.
    2. A heart rate workout where you target a single zone for the whole time. I haven't found a way to change your target on the fly yet. It would be nice to be able to adjust that as you go so it isn't yelling at you the whole time.
    3. An advanced workout which you build with steps, each step being a set distance or time, each step also constraining to a speed/pace or heart rate.

It will warn you with an audio and visual warning if you go over / under your set HR or pace. I don't know if you can do both at the same time.

You can also follow courses set by others through motionbased or whatever. I don't know yet how it incorporates your HR or speed limits to that course. It will show a 'virtual partner' to show if you are ahead or behind the original runner/biker on the course.

It does have different modes for biking and running which effects HR zones and calorie calcs. These estimates are WAAY higher than what my CatEye estimated.

You CAN view your LONG/LAT position. Mark it, then edit the point's position and you would be able to call for help with that info.

I have ridden at a moderately tree covered trail and had no issues with GPS reception. I brought it out from the house last night after charging all day and the GPS locked on so fast I thought the GPS was off because I didn't see any 'Aquiring Satellites' screen.

There is a significant lack of info around on the 405, especially on MTBR so if anyone has any questions, please post them up and I'll do my best.