mtbr member
    Sep 2008

A question about the Garmin Edge 205 before purchase.

I am thinking about purchasing the 205 rather than the 305 because of the price and the features that I believe I will not need. I am not too concerned about the lack of HR and cadence monitoring, but I do have questions about the barometric altimeter. What I plan on doing is creating my own courses that are identical to ones found on motionbased, but just adding different waypoints in so I can track my time intervals between them. If I follow the same tracks, I could just obtain my elevation gain from the value that was calculated from other peoples journeys on these routes right? I assume that would negate the need for an accurate barometric altimeter. Furthermore, if I use other routes on motionbased, could I edit them with new waypoints which would tell me how far I had to go to reach them?

Also, how accurate is the speed that is monitored using GPS? Is it comparable to a wired cyclocomputer with known tire size?

sorry for the newbness.
    thanks

Riding or Drumming
    Given what you are looking for the 205 may be fine. That being said, Barometric Alt. are MUCH more accurate than GPS based. If you doing lots of climbing and like to log that data, the 305 wins.

Speed is good and mileage is OK as singletrack, switchbacks and other odd technical trails are not necessarily recorded properly. I think it short-changes you a little on distance.

I have the 305 and only use the HR when training. The cadence monitor is on my road bike (I move the 305 between bikes) but it only works sometimes and would NEVER hold up off-road.

Buy the 205...
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

Wanderer
    Aye, the GPS isn't that hot in twisty stuff due to all the turns. You may actually do 20 miles but it only records 18 miles. Heavy trees overhead can also make it not record the distance properly. All in all tho I love my 305 and the Pros far outweigh the Cons.

I didn't think I would use the HR function but if you like data it is very informative to be able to graph everything and see patterns to your strength and endurance over time.

GeoMan
    FWIW, we sell about 500:1 Edge 305's to 205's.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    And that's why I bought a 305! Well, one of the reasons. I didn't think I'd want the heart rate monitor, especially since I already had aone I used for road rides. Turns out I love the HR monitor - I hate riding without it now!

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN

GeoMan
    After using an HR monitor for a while you "learn" your heart rate just as you do cadence. It becomes intuitive. A computer like the 305 makes it so.

I don't ride with either the HR or CAD any more (I have somewhere over 400 rides on either a 305 or 705). There was a time when I wouldn't be without either one.

I think many people are this way.

I'd never ride without the Edge, however. It is that important to me.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I somewhat agree Geoman... I always ride with HR monitor...I just no longer watch it as I ride. I know what my HR is at any given moment within 5 bpm...However, the max HR and average HR over the course of a ride are important...and you cannot have a calories burned calculation without them. After a short time, current HR is meaningless, but overall it is a valuable stat to have recorded.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't usually look at the HR monitor any more either - but I do find the average HR a useful statistic. More importantly, I watch my max HR - and the alarm going off tells me when it's time to back off. I wouldn't have worried so much about that when I was younger, but at 55 I decided it was better not to push it too much. I don't need the HR monitor to tell me I'm working really hard, but it's a good tool for keeping within the zone I want

Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    I somewhat agree Geoman... I always ride with HR monitor...I just no longer watch it as I ride. I know what my HR is at any given moment within 5 bpm...However, the max HR and average HR over the course of a ride are important...and you cannot have a calories burned calculation without them. After a short time, current HR is meaningless, but overall it is a valuable stat to have recorded.

GeoMan
    Agreed!

I better dig out my HR monitor, hehe.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Well, I dug it out and started using it again... Kinda nice!

One thing wrong with prior posts; calorie calculations are performed without either the HR or CAD monitor.

Enjoy!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Blown Away

Well, I dug it out and started using it again... Kinda nice!

One thing wrong with prior posts; calorie calculations are performed without either the HR or CAD monitor.

Enjoy!
    I wonder how they calculate calories burned without HR? I also wonder if the calculation is more accurate with HR. Certainly a rider averaging 150 bm over 60 minutes burns more calories than a rider averaging 120 bm over the same 60 minutes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Could be because I can't find where you sell the 205 after scouring your website for 10 mins. Please correct me if I'm wrong since I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 205.

GeoMan
    Naw, we were temporarily out of stock...

Here's our link to the Edge 205, they are available now.

Thank you.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used to have a 305 and find it hard to believe the IP rating of 7x. They are not water proof.

The issue is that the two buttons on top clip off and underneath is a small hole leading to the electronics. The water protection comes in the form of a tiny rubber johhny, which must be aligned exactly to keep out water. These buttons must be removed every now and again to clean underneath as crap gets there and prevents them from being pushed. I had two 305's and both had this issue.

The 705 (and probably the 605) have this issue fixed and proper sealed buttons installed.

I lost all my data from a 7 day stage race from the 305 due to this issue - I was not a happy bunny.

GeoMan
    At least 300, maybe 400 rides on my Edge 305 without a glitch - in all kinds of weather and conditions including rain, snow, sleet, hail, creek and river crossings, and the New Mexico sun - all MTB.

Ssushi's experience seems somewhat unique. We've sold over 8,000 305's and water issues just aren't mentioned.

As you know, Garmin does not ever state that the 305 is "waterproof". Rather, they use the term "water resistant" and the IEC designation "IPX7" which loosely means that it can withstand being submerged in up to a meter of water for up to 30 minutes. It doesn't imply anything else.

There's no doubt that the water resistant integrity of the Edge 305 can be compromised under extreme conditions including mud and dirt in and under the controls. Frankly, I suggest carrying a plastic baggy and a rubber band for instances when you may encounter these situations.

Overall, the Edge 305 has been and continues to be hugely popular and reliable.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

nOOb
    May 2008
    I ordered the 205, but when I fondled a friends 305 I sent the 205 back for it. I like the altimeter and watching in real time how high certain climbs are...I also am kind of nosy so the grade function is neat to watch when you are climbing up very steep inclines or fireroads. I didn't think I'd need the heart rate or cadence, but so far the Garmin hrm has been less susceptable to interference than my other units. The cadence is useful for my road bike, if only because I'm the techie type. I don't think the 305 is that much more than the 205 on Amazon either...