mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Printing a GPX file

I have a GPX file for the Huracan 300 race in Florida. I would like to print the map to use as a back-up in case of a GPS failure. Can anyone tell me how to do it? I want it detailed enough to use, so I will know where and when to turn.

mtbr dismember

Topofusion

Quote Originally Posted by RAvant View Post
    I have a GPX file for the Huracan 300 race in Florida. I would like to print the map to use as a back-up in case of a GPS failure. Can anyone tell me how to do it? I want it detailed enough to use, so I will know where and when to turn.
    Topofusion. But if you want it that detailed you will probably have to print out many sections separately. Or open in Google Earth and print out several sections.

You're opening a pretty huge can of worms. To make it easy, I agree just to get Topofusion. You can have the program print grid lines and coordinates in the margins, too. It's useful for other aspects of file analysis, too.

That said, it's not the best for printing. National Geographic Topo! is better, by far, but it handles tracks pretty poorly for analysis and file management purposes. But still, the maps are well-done, and you can put an elevation profile on, there's coordinates in the margins, and all the other important information needed for compass navigation.

then there's the GIS mapping route where you have more control over the final product, but it takes a lot more work to get there. QGIS and MapWindow GIS are two open source options, but they contain no mapping data. You have to get that yourself (also free, but requires work to find).