Thread: Pretty Cool

Pretty Cool

I was perusing Garmin Connect today and saw what appeared to be a new feature (or at least one I hadn't noticed before). There's a new Health tab, with a number of available metrics...and you can get them from a Tanita scale that can transmit wirelessly to a Garmin fitness watch or directly to the computer. As I get more serious about my fitness during my cancer recovery, I've been thinking I ought to get a basic Tanita monitor...but this feature makes me think about saving a few extra bucks for this one...BC-1000, I think it is.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Edge 705, and really tracking my fitness would be a huge motivator for me to REALLY work on my fitness levels. The Edge would monitor cardio, while the Tanita would monitor other measures. Very cool.

For the next few months my workouts would have to be light and indoors (ride the trainer basically...so I plan on getting the 705 with HR/cad to monitor my trainer workouts). I won't really be able to put the hammer down until the winter...my docs may want me to wait a couple months after my last chemo, even, before I hit the gym and/or start riding outside.

trail rat
    Both the Calendar and the Health tabs are new with the recent upgrades to the system. I get the feeling that Connect will turn into a great resource; seems Garmin learned the lessons and limitation of MotionBased and the free Connect will be even better. I know that the running / road bike / triathlete user is the primary target of connect and not us dirt maniacs (still no ability to set climbing goals) but I find it useful. The calendar tab for me with weekly totals is nice, nicer if it had elevation climbed too.

I still find that TopoFusion is my primary GPS mapping program and SportTracks my fitness tracking, but being able to share rides on Connect is nice too.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Nate, for the exact same reason, motivation, I'm saving up a few bucks to buy that same scale to use with my new 705. I'd also like to use it with my FR50, but it states it isn't compatible with the 50, only the 60. Since both the 50 and the 60 and the BC-1000 all work with ant, I'm assuming I can atleast send in the data.

I've now ordered a 705, and will most likely buy this scale. Nice thing is that there is an option where it can send the data straight to the PC, since I am not buying a 'compatible' GPS. That's fine. I don't know why I'd need the data in the GPS at all...I'd just put it on the computer anyway. I'd like to buy this thing while I'm still going through chemo, so I can have time to establish a baseline of where I am now to better track any changes that occur as I build my fitness and strength.

On a side note, I'm noticing how my desktop PC is becoming a hub for all kinds of things. I've used it awhile for GPS stuff, music library, photo lab, scanner, and Wii. Recently, I've networked it with my blu-ray player and my DirecTV HD DVR, and eventually this scale. The thing is quickly becoming the central brain of my house.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk

On a side note, I'm noticing how my desktop PC is becoming a hub for all kinds of things. I've used it awhile for GPS stuff, music library, photo lab, scanner, and Wii. Recently, I've networked it with my blu-ray player and my DirecTV HD DVR, and eventually this scale. The thing is quickly becoming the central brain of my house.
    I heard one of the Netflix founders interviewed on NPR yesterday and he thinks there will be a merging pretty soon between "TV" and "monitor." So, we'll all have the largest screen we can afford and we will use it for all of our processing and computing, in addition to streaming his Netflix movies.

My computer monitor could work to watch TV on...as long as I had a separate tuner with HDMI output. Aside from Netflix and Hulu and other online offerings, picking up broadcast TV is the only option where the hardware meets up with the signal tech. Picking up cable and sat TV on a computer is much more limited at the moment. I looked into it pretty heavily before I bought my new TV...because using the PC as a TV would have been much cheaper.