mtbr member

Is it possible to use a portable car GPS?

Instead of the more expensive bike GPS. I'm not too familiar with GPS devices.
    My needs would be just for the map and street names riding through through the city etc. According to a little research some held hand GPS devices have pedestrian mode correct? Would this efficient for my needs? Can I just throw it in my backpack and use it when I need it? Thank you....

"Mr. Britannica"
    battery life and mounting are things to consider

wannabe
    sure you can... get you an adapter for the cig slot and some way to mount that will allow you to easily view while driving. Keep in mind the display is going to be small so you will need to mount where it can been seen easily without taking you eyes of the road for long period of times.

I have a Nuvi and I think the stated battery life is only about 2 hours. I get 14+hrs on a set of AA's on my 76CSx. That's a big difference. And yes, mounting can be tricky with a car GPS. My Nuvi requires a bracket with a ball end that snaps into the back of the GPS. Quite prone to falling off on the bike. Also, consider weather resistance. That Nuvi would never stand up to a downpour the way my 76 does (it's survived a half hour of immersion in a river for comparison).

The Nuvi might be worth using to walk around an urban area looking for a specific business, but not to attach to a bike as a cyclecomputer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a Nuvi 200 with a bike mount - It does have a ball that clips in, so far I have used it on road rides - and it does fall off very easy and bounces to different angles - going over a curb for example(I'm trying to figure out how the cars on the parkway missed it). It does have a bike mode along with pedestrian, right now, I don't think I would use it on a trail, I just don't see it staying mounted. The battery Life is about 2-3 hours, good for short rides. It does a good job at recording the data, speed, trip route - I've only been able to view it in Mapsource and not export it for some reason. I'm currently considering the Edge 705, more for monitoring reasons.

If you are going to just leave it in a back pack and use as needed, it may work for what you need. I prefer to see my info as I'm riding. I'll try and put it in my camelbak for tonight's trail ride (weather permitting) and see how it works out, and let you know.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper Expert
    -no mods yet-

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You might consider one of the color Garmin eTrex devices. It is a small hiking oriented device, but has both car and bike mounts which work very well. Also, assuming you load the correct maps, it will show you maps with street names and provide you with automatic routing (and rerouting should you make a wrong turn.)

If you plan to use the GPS mostly in the car, you're probably better off with a true car GPS such as the Garmin Nuvi. There is a company, Ram Mount, who make reliable, rugged mounts for a variety of devices including the Nuvi. I used to use one of the Ram Mount mounts with an older non color eTrex Vista. It worked very well, but was sort of overkill. I've since found out that the Garmin bike mounts for the eTrex units work pretty well too. If you're prone to crashing though, the Ram Mount might be better. The one I had cradled the device providing some degree of protection even in crashes which would otherwise impact the device.