mtbr member

Polar CS400 and losing signal from fork

I'm having issues with my CS400 losing signal from the fork sensor. I've tinkered with the sensor and magnet a ton.

It will fade in and out while on a ride.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got a CS100 that seems to be doing the same. Get home from a ride and see that my distance and average speed are all up the wazoo. I swap the head unit between my mountain bike and road bike, so thought I would swap out the fork sensor to see if one is not working. This seems to have isolated the problem, so I need to get a new speed sensor by the look of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Is it on the front or back of the fork? I've had better results when mounted on the front as it aims the antenna 'up' as opposed to 'down'

Ted
    Ted in real life
    I threw away a VDO HRM because it would not work reliably. I replaced it with a Cateye Wireless but kept the old wheel magnet. Funny thing, the Cateye had problems too. I replaced the wheel magnet and all was well. Too late to save the (probably good) VDO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I had nothing but trouble with my polar cs200

Same thing as you, it would not reliably get a signal from the wheel sensor. Tried Bigger magnets, other placements etc etc, and finally gave up on the thing. Its in a box around here somewhere.
    Honestly I would suggest a Garmin GPS unit. The wheel magnet is a clever idea, but its just a constant source of problems on a bike that gets beat around off road. You can get a garmin 205 or 305 for not all that much more, and it collects data way more reliabily and mine has been 100% problem free in almost 1.5 years of use 3 or 4 times a week. The GPS units give you so much more info, and just blow the cs series out of the water. Its also easier to move between bikes.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Slowest Rider

My CS400 sensor failed too

Straight out of the box, my front wheel speed sensor didn't work.

After a lot of debugging, I finally sent it back to Polar for repair and since then it works fine.

It could also be it's low on batteries.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.