~I Ride In Circles ~

Polar CS300 question.. (mounting)

I just purchased a Polar CS300 HRM and I bought the optional cadance sensor. Ideally I would like to have my speed sensor on my rear wheel... Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to do this so I can go from my trainer to the road with out having to move anything. If I mount it to the front wheel I won't get speeds or anything while spinning...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I also found a demo of VidaOne Diet and Fitness.. going to see how well that works in conjunction with my CS300
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Thought I would update..

As long as I can get the magnet and the sensor close enough to eachother on the rear wheel I should be fine right? This shouldn't interfere with the cadance sensor since they're at different spots..

Another question. Polars sonic link.. basically I need a decent microphone to connect it to the computer.. anything will work right?
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

~I Ride In Circles ~
    anyone??
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a cs300 and have a speed and cadance sensor mounted to my mountain bike and just a speed sensor on my road bike. Both have the speed sensor mounted to the front fork. You could try mounting it to the rear wheel but I think the distance between the watch and the sensor might be too great for the watch to pick it up. It is easy enough to move, so it might be worth a try.

As for the sonic link I just use a set of headphones plugged into the mircophone jack. One of the earphones will pick up sound just tap on them to find out which one is acting as the microphone.

It is a great unit. I have had a couple minor problems with it though. I don't take it off before showering and when wet sometimes the sonic transfer would not work. I think water got inside and limited the sound so my microphone could not pick it up. I also had problems with it resetting when riding over commuter train tracks and some power lines. I would then loose all of my ride data. Also some traffic signals would make the odometer rapidly gain milage when I stopped at a light. On the plus side I had to send it back because water got into the display. It was almost 1 year old and they replaced it with no questions asked. I have not had any data transfer problems with the new unit.

Good Luck with it!
    John
    A poor man can only afford the best.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Well I'm hoping that I'll be able to swim with it too.. Since it's waterproof to 50meters I shouldn't have a problem. (I hope) ..

I'll give the different mounting options a try.. Maybe I'll get lucky
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I contacted Polar customer support. I asked about rear wheel speed sensor mounting. I guess the max distance is 20 inches.. So.. If I were to mount the computer on my top tube I'd be able to do it... Oh well... I guess I'm stuck with it on the front wheel where it's meant to be.

I guess I'll just attach my old cycling computer to my bike while it's on the trainer. Simple enough I guess...
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just bought the CS300. The manual says to mount the magnet a max of 4 mm from the speed sensor. However, with the diameter of my front fork and the distance of the spokes from the fork, there is no way I can get even remotely close to the max distance of 4 mm while keeping the sensor somewhat parallel to the magnet. If I put the sensor on an extreme angle, it seems to pick up the magnet, but the speed and distance does not seem to be even close to my gps readings. Were you able to get the speed sensor within 4mm? If so is it parallel or on an angle. If not, does it still work with a larger distance (1/2"-1")?
    Last edited by gasiorv; 04-02-2008 at 07:31 PM.