Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Phone app that allows my wife to track me on a ride

Can anyone recommend a good phone app that allows my wife to track me by GPS on a ride? Since I ride alone a lot I figured this would be a good idea. And I'd like to track her when she runs solo. I have an android phone and she has an iPhone, if that matters. A buddy of mine mentioned GPSTracker by Instamapper but I'm just starting to look into this and thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

unpossibles
    Google Lattitude works very well for basic monitoring needs and has very little impact on battery life. It also gives you pretty good control over who can see your position, etc. It's not a route tracker like Endomondo or Strava though.

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure that Mountain bike Pro will do this. Obviously I have never tried it because I am biking, but it has a function where people can cheer you on, so I would assume it is updating to the website live. It also tracks your route.

Climbs = necessary evil
    This is a great question and one I had last night. My wife is having shoulder surgery in a few weeks and has been worrying about me riding on my own. It's going to be a full 6 month recovery, so she'd like to be able to keep tabs on me when I go to lesser used trails. Our only difference is we both use Android phones. Subscribing to this thread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_SL2 View Post
    Google Lattitude works very well for basic monitoring needs and has very little impact on battery life. It also gives you pretty good control over who can see your position, etc. It's not a route tracker like Endomondo or Strava though.
    I actually downloaded Latitude on my wife's iPhone last night. It works ok but it doesn't seem to be real time. I.e. I want to be able to look at a map and follow my wife as she runs or her follow me as I ride. I need to mess with Latitude a bit more and see if I can tweak the settings to do what I want it to.

mtbr member

This one looks descent

This one looks OK. The nice thing about free apps is I can delete it if it doesn't work!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eTracker&hl=en

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Gps Kit has a squawk function. Works ok but sucks battery. Need to have the app on both phones. This is a nice gps app because you can cache map areas for when you're out of data range.

sheep in FOX clothing
    We use the free version of Endomondo.

I prefer to set the privacy so that only approved users can see my activities, and track me realtime on the map. They can see your location, track, and performance data, including HR if you have a bluetooth HRM.

Anyone authorized to watch you ride live on the map can also type comments in that will be read to you over your phone headset, if you are so inclined.

I've done rides up to 12 hours on a single blackberry charge.

would it not be better to get something like a SPOT, Delorme InReach, or a PLB? that way, you don't have to rely on cellular data connections that may or may not be flaky where you're riding.

Personally, I'd rather go the PLB route so people only get alerted when there's an emergency. I know a guy who dropped his SPOT into a ravine on a VERY remote trip, and though he was fine and ahead of schedule, some people panicked because his SPOT signal didn't move for days. can you guarantee that you're not going to drop your phone somewhere that it can still get a signal out yet you can't reach it?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mountain Bike Pro is one of the best apps out there. Not only can they track you live, but you can download maps and many other really good fatures.
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29

mtbr member
    I use MotionX and it works great. You set the app to automatically update a live map and you have your own channel and from a website anyone can see your progress/location.

Mountain Mileage: Mountain Biking GPS App Review

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mapmyride will do it. I've never used the function, but I have seen the ability in the settings. It seems to be a well supported app that gets updated frequently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cyclemeter (which also has a version as Runmeter) will do this. You can set it up to email any address when you start and end a ride/run, and/or to send emails (with map data) at set intervals. So for example you could set it up to email your wife when you start riding, every half hour while you're riding, and then when you finish the ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    "Find my Friends" app on the iphone does this, for free. Works better than when I tried they mapmyride version.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Glympse

Times range from a "here I am" check in to 4hrs. You can save a setting and make a shortcut on your phones desktop. I have one preset for my wife when I'm heading home from work.

Cheers,

Craig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmertan View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good phone app that allows my wife to track me by GPS on a ride? Since I ride alone a lot I figured this would be a good idea. And I'd like to track her when she runs solo. I have an android phone and she has an iPhone, if that matters. A buddy of mine mentioned GPSTracker by Instamapper but I'm just starting to look into this and thought I'd ask here. Thanks!
    I use GPS Logger II on my blackberry. I have it set-up to send out an email every 30 min to my wife with my location. I can drop that down to every 3 minutes I think. It also has the ability to send out an emergency email if I am stopped for too long too. That is good in case I am laying in ditch somewhere.

Of course it is only as good as cell coverage, but it seems to work. It does not use much battery and is free. After the ride upload the track to Strava.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi I can help you with tracking.
    You have new software called Personal Eye System.
    It which has such capability. It allows you real time tracking.

It runs on Android platform.

No Stranger to danger....
    LOL OP, how could this be a good idea under any circumstances ?
    I thought the idea was to get on the bike and escape the missus, not give her an application to follow your ever move, the worlds gone stark raving mad.........
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is there an app that will tell my wife that I am riding another lap while I am actually drinking another beer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Live GPS tracker - let your wife follow your rides

I stumbled upon this thread, a bit late I know. However, you should try out LocaToWeb which is exactly for this purpose. It is a live tracking app for iPhone, Android and WP. Your wife can then follow you in i real time on a map in public or private.

Happy Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    would it not be better to get something like a SPOT, Delorme InReach, or a PLB? ..... can you guarantee that you're not going to drop your phone somewhere that it can still get a signal out yet you can't reach it?
    Way, way, way overkill. A Personal Locator Beacon should only be used in situations of grave and imminent danger, and only as a last resort when all means of self-rescue have been exhausted. And though most have a non-emergency "I'm OK" signal to specific email addresses, it requires a paid ongoing subscription plus wife still won't know where he is until he hits the beacon signal. Then she still has to check the lat-long on another mapping app.

C'mon... OP is not asking about trans-Alaska trail busting. With a cell phone app, DW can check my ten-20 simply and at her convenience without the added hassle of of an Air National Guard emergency response. And may be difficult or impossible to hit the PLB in the unfortunate event of a big crash. For most riders, mobile phone app like Google Lattitude covers most of the situations sufficiently. If you get home from your rides with a full Strava trail, mobile phone app is fine. If mobile phone coverage is very spotty then a more sophisticated app that uplinks when signal available is appropriate. But a PRB? C'mon .... Did you reply on this just to get your post count up, or do you really recommend riding daily with a rescue beacon?

Did you not read my whole post?

Guy I know using live tracking on his Spot in a VERY remote area dropped it down a ravine. Family panicked. Dude was fine, and found by SAR ahead of schedule a couple days later.

I am not a fan of live tracking for that reason and inherent reliability issues of live tracking (relying on both GPS reception and cell or sat phone reception). And yes, if I was going out solo in remote places, I would carry a real PLB.

In much less remote and busy places, no, I would not use a PLB, but I would also not use live tracking. If my wife was a crazy worrier, I would rather carry a PLB than use live tracking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Way, way, way overkill. A Personal Locator Beacon should only be used in situations of grave and imminent danger, and only as a last resort when all means of self-rescue have been exhausted. And though most have a non-emergency "I'm OK" signal to specific email addresses, it requires a paid ongoing subscription plus wife still won't know where he is until he hits the beacon signal. Then she still has to check the lat-long on another mapping app.

C'mon... OP is not asking about trans-Alaska trail busting. With a cell phone app, DW can check my ten-20 simply and at her convenience without the added hassle of of an Air National Guard emergency response. And may be difficult or impossible to hit the PLB in the unfortunate event of a big crash. For most riders, mobile phone app like Google Lattitude covers most of the situations sufficiently. If you get home from your rides with a full Strava trail, mobile phone app is fine. If mobile phone coverage is very spotty then a more sophisticated app that uplinks when signal available is appropriate. But a PRB? C'mon .... Did you reply on this just to get your post count up, or do you really recommend riding daily with a rescue beacon?
    He just hates GPS smartphones period. GPS smartphones doesn't make him feel needed.

On topic, Endomondo has this feature and the OP's wife can even send love messages for inspiration while he's on a ride.

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    .... In much less remote and busy places, no, I would not use a PLB, but I would also not use live tracking.....
    So what would you recommend for OP?
    Breadcrumbs?

(Gotta keep that post count up!)

Your Best Friend

Re: Phone app that allows my wife to track me on a ride

Thought I'd throw this out there as well. The Garmin 810 can connect via Bluetooth to your phone and you can invite people with email to live track your ride in real time.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast