Ninja Master Powers

OTB... Broke the top half off my Forerunner 205

This weekend I had a OTB “incident” that broke the display off my old Garmin Forerunner 205. I use it to track my rides.

The good news is that when I put the display back on and lightly press it down the Forerunner still works fine.

It looks as if the “top” has been designed to be popped off to facilitate replacing the battery. There is some sort of glue used to hold the two parts together.

So my question is has anyone ever take either a 205 or 305 apart then put it back together in a manner that would allow you to take it apart again at another time?

If so what sort of adhesive did you use?

I could just use some cyanoacrylate a.k.a super glue and seal it up permanently but I’d never be able to change the battery if necessary. Which wouldn’t be the end of the world as I’ve had this GPS for at least 5 years and will likely replace it before the battery needs to be changed.

But, if anyone has any idea about what adhesive to use I’d appreciate the information.

Thanks in advance….

Ninja Master Powers
    Fixed my old Garmin 205. Found the proper adhesive yesterday.

Cleaned off all the old adhesive, used the tip of a exacto blade to put down a bead of adhesive on each part then clamped them together and let them sit clamped until just a few minutes ago.

Works perfect...

I think I got lucy.

I'll likely replace it with a wrist watch style Garmin that really made for running then just wear it on my wrist. In the mean time though the old 205 is back in the world...

Thank for everyones input...

Oh, wait, no one gave me any....

Quote Originally Posted by DWill
    Fixed my old Garmin 205. Found the proper adhesive yesterday.

Cleaned off all the old adhesive, used the tip of a exacto blade to put down a bead of adhesive on each part then clamped them together and let them sit clamped until just a few minutes ago.

Works perfect...

I think I got lucy.

I'll likely replace it with a wrist watch style Garmin that really made for running then just wear it on my wrist. In the mean time though the old 205 is back in the world...

Thank for everyones input...

Oh, wait, no one gave me any....
    FYI, my wife doesn't get the greatest reception with her 205 when she wears it on her wrist while biking. Works fine when worn that way running, but for some reason when biking it will occasionally drop signal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think garmin uses some sort of special hot glue. I used loctite stik n seal glue, worked good. Needs clamping like the other guy said.