mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Opinions on PowerTap?

Hey,

Anyone using the PowerTap on their mountain bikes? Everyone I know who rides tri or road uses either it or some other power meter (SRM). But I've not met anyone who uses them on their mountain bike.

How useful is power data for XC, Enduro or Adventure Racing / Training?

thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I use one, religiously!!!
    I love it, makes it possible to train on the dirt and fire roads almost constantly and get in the power based intervals and the data tracking and feedback to verify that progress is being made, and that training is working. Plus, in this day and age of remote coaching, it is key to having my coach truly in touch with what I do....he can see everything.

My one complaint....it is inconsistent on the trainer versus the road or dirt. I am getting ready to put a post up on that for feedback.

-Shawn

www.bikefactoryracing.com

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    I hate the holes in my WKO+ log enough, I'm shopping for one (after I pay my taxes, of course). Do you use the disc hub?

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Given the mix of riding / training / racing I do, I've been running power on the mtb for a long time. Ptap pre-disk, Ergomo after going to disk brakes and this past year added a powertap for the other mtb. All good stuff.

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    No problems in the mud? I'd be bummed if I killed a 1500 dollar wheel by drowning...