Feeling a little taller

New question here. Online Route Creation Resources

Pardon me if this has already been asked. I did some searching but came up with nothing.

If I wanted to plot a route to walk or ride on trails and streets for commuting purposes, is there an existing online resource that does this?
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Dinner for wolves

Good question

I use the USA Track & Field Association website map feature.
    Link: http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/

It's not perfect, and the elevation calculation feature sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. But if you want to calculate the length of a commute, it will do the trick. I'm sure there is something better out there, but I just haven't found it yet...well actually I have, and it's a handheld GPS.

mtbr member
    www.mapitpronto.com is what I use when I want to plot out a route for a road ride and upload it to my garmin. Gives you elevation, distance, and if you enter a ride time it calculates your avg speed or enter an avg speed and it gives you the trip time. And you don't have to pick each and every turn on a road if you select the "Follow the road".

trail rat
    Bike Route Toaster is an option to try.

I have not figured out how to tell it to avoid highways, but I have not worked with it that much. Where I live it is easy to figure out the best commute routes.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

yea me too

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Pardon me if this has already been asked. I did some searching but came up with nothing.

If I wanted to plot a route to walk or ride on trails and streets for commuting purposes, is there an existing online resource that does this?
    I just bought a 60csx and have the same question.I'd like to get a track of the 401 in mt.crested butte,but so far haven't found anything-- guess a gps noobie like me doesn't know where to look.I have looked at the motion based website and nothing there either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Found this one yesterday, Mapmyride.com seems they charge a nominal fee though. I havent used any of the mapping sites yet. Just a FYI

JC
    Darn another Root...Pedal, pedal, pedal.....

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I use MapMyRide a bit and haven't incurred any fees. It translates nicely to Google Earth for viewing in 3D.

I've also played around with the free version of TopoFusion. It has similar features to MapMyRide but also allows for direct uploading to my Garmin Vista HCx, and allows creation of "networks" of trails to generate a multi-route trail map. Just noticed an updated version was released last week. I'll need to check it out and see what's changed.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Holy shit... download the new version of TopoFusion and try it NOW.

The big improvement with 3.38 has been tweaking & optimization of the "make network" feature.

I just loaded up three unedited, partially overlapping tracks of Lake Chabot. TF merged them much more accurately than before, reducing 8160 points down to ~5,000. A few minutes editing these in advance would knock this down by a huge amount, of course.

The upload to GPS is the really handy, but the Make Network is the best thing about it.

I'm going to PayPal this guy some money. Huge improvement!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Holy ****... download the new version of TopoFusion and try it NOW.

The big improvement with 3.38 has been tweaking & optimization of the "make network" feature.

I just loaded up three unedited, partially overlapping tracks of Lake Chabot. TF merged them much more accurately than before, reducing 8160 points down to ~5,000. A few minutes editing these in advance would knock this down by a huge amount, of course.

The upload to GPS is the really handy, but the Make Network is the best thing about it.

I'm going to PayPal this guy some money. Huge improvement!
    I've been using it for over two years. When I first tried it, I was up until 3am with my jaw in my lap. I bought it the next evening and have been happily using it day by day.

The trail network is very nice, and the log book ability to get your states any way you want them, week, month, year to date.

It is a great program and Scott is very helpful when you have questions, plus he hangs out here as well as posting nice rides in Passion. Winner!
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I've been using it for over two years. When I first tried it, I was up until 3am with my jaw in my lap. I bought it the next evening and have been happily using it day by day.

The trail network is very nice, and the log book ability to get your states any way you want them, week, month, year to date.

It is a great program and Scott is very helpful when you have questions, plus he hangs out here as well as posting nice rides in Passion. Winner!
    I've been pleased with it up to now, but thought the network function required too much precise editing to merge overlapping routes accurately. I'd often have to spend what I thought was extra effort to align track points to ensure trail junctions were merged at the correct spots.

This new 3.38 version is fabulous! I'll spend some more time with it over the coming week.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

trail rat
    Since we are shaking the pom-poms.

GPS Tracklog just posted a "Ten Reasons TopoFusion Rocks" on their blog.

I could not agree more.
    Last edited by slocaus; 07-30-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: correct spelling after adequate caffeination
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got the National Geographic TOPO program from my stepbrother, but before that I was using Allsportgps.com.

Scott in Tucson
    Thanks for the props guys. Glad you like the improved network stuff.

Nothing more rewarding than seeing cool mountain bikers using the software.

Ride on.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.