Ride More, Whine Less

Old School - Wired Planet Bike 9.0

After years of happily riding without a cycle computer, I broke down and purchased a wired Planet Bike 9.0. Part of the reason was cycling with boy scouts. I needed a quick and easy way to ensure we get the mileage for cycling merit badge credit.

With all of the fancy GPS-based posts, I figured I would say the simplicity of an old school cycle computer is refreshing.

How many "old schoolers" are left out there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I use the same computer, never thought of upgrading. Until today when I stumbled upon this part of the forum. A garmin looks like it would be cool, assuming it's more accurate then my iPhones gps where I ride. I'll probaly just stick with the bike planet, it works great. A guy can dream though. To many things to buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm currently looking to get a decent cycle computer. I just bought a VDO C3 DS on clearance for $25 but I have to say it flat out sucks. It seemed to good to be true because it gives you pretty much all of the possible information you could ever need but it ended up being very inaccurate and inconsistent. After having my trouble I looked up some info online and other people are having the same trouble. It is wireless between the transmitter and computer so it probably doesn't give a reliable signal. Sometimes it will keep smooth updates but other times it will leave out long periods of data. I guess that's why it was on clearance.

So I'm searching these forums for a simple computer that will give me a stop watch, distance, average speed, and top speed (just for fun ). I was going to make a new thread but I don't have enough posts yet. Do either of you have a good recommendation for a reliable and waterproof cycle computer for around $40. I don't care if its wired or wireless as long as its accurate.
    Last edited by Fajita Dave; 03-22-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Ride More, Whine Less
    This new Protege 9.0 is great. If the temperature readout isn't important, go with the 8.0 and save a few bucks. I have the 8.0 on my road bike and it has never missed a beat either. They may be hard to find local (they seem to have a small distributor network), but that may make you feel less guilty about purchasing for a good price online.

Also, while there are many good companies out there, I support planet bike since they give 25% of the proceeds back to bicycle advocacy.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post

So I'm searching these forums for a simple computer that will give me a stop watch, distance, average speed, and top speed (just for fun ). I was going to make a new thread but I don't have enough posts yet. Do either of you have a good recommendation for a reliable and waterproof cycle computer for around $40. I don't care if its wired or wireless as long as its accurate.
    just get a wired.. much more reliable and are lighter... the big a$$ sensers on the wireless are annoying and ugly too..

I really like the cheap Serfas computers. very reasonably priced, worked well, easy to read, easy to use and understand... cost like $20.. Had a VDO and a few Cat Eye's and always end up back with the Serfas,.. just simple to use and give the info you want and nothing you don't has the snap out base and multi bases sold separately so you an use one computer on may bikes (though at $20 each I don't see why you would bother ) and not all that pricy so if you wipe out and smash it you wont cry.. (which I did to the Cat Eye)
    https://www.serfas.com/products/inde...ries/computers
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Excellent info thank you! I do try to support my LBS because they do have some excellent employees and a great selection so I'll see what they have first. This VDO buy was sort of an opportunity buy that I didn't even try to get any info on first. My first thought was "how bad could it be?"

Sorry for somewhat hi-jacking your thread. I couldn't make a new thread until i have 5 posts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I went back to my lbs today and bought a Cateye Mity 8. It was $25 (not even on sale) and its worked flawlessly so far where as the VDO C3 is normally $80 and isn't worth a damn penny. I asked one of the employees this time and he said they've carried this one for a long time and its always been an accurate and reliable computer.

The distance reading was perfect down my 0.4 mile road and it was the same every time I went down it. It gave me a good consistent feed of my speed and has a convenient auto start/stop function for your trip that starts when you do and stops when you do without worrying about stopping or starting the stop watch. It gives me 2 trip meters, max/average speed along with an arrow telling me if I'm above or below my average speed, stop watch, and an odometer. Why would you possibly need anything more unless your just using extra data to keep track of as a 2nd hobby?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Well I went back to my lbs today and bought a Cateye Mity 8. It was $25 (not even on sale) and its worked flawlessly so far where as the VDO C3 is normally $80 and isn't worth a damn penny. I asked one of the employees this time and he said they've carried this one for a long time and its always been an accurate and reliable computer.

The distance reading was perfect down my 0.4 mile road and it was the same every time I went down it. It gave me a good consistent feed of my speed and has a convenient auto start/stop function for your trip that starts when you do and stops when you do without worrying about stopping or starting the stop watch. It gives me 2 trip meters, max/average speed along with an arrow telling me if I'm above or below my average speed, stop watch, and an odometer. Why would you possibly need anything more unless your just using extra data to keep track of as a 2nd hobby?
    yaa.. I like the button/menu setup of the Serfas a tad better but any of the basic computers work well.... Think the cheapies work better than the overly fancy high priced ones do...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    yaa.. I like the button/menu setup of the Serfas a tad better but any of the basic computers work well.... Think the cheapies work better than the overly fancy high priced ones do...
    The Serfas did look like they had a more user friendly setup. Using the small button in the back of this thing can be a little annoying, however, you don't need to use it often and the two buttons on the front are just as easy to use as anything else. The instructions were pretty vague about some things but I figured after taking a while to mess with it. It was at my local shop and I was told it was reliable, if it isn't than I'm bringing this one back . I just like being able to bring it home and use it instead of waiting a week for it to arrive as well. If my local shop had Serfas I probably would have gotten that instead.

I do have to give the C3 DS some credit. The buttons and the menu was fantastic and very easy to use with some very nice extra functions (even if they weren't necessary). Its just to bad that it doesn't work. I did like the handlebar mounting a little more as well. I might try to get it working by possibly placing the transmitter closer to the computer as long as I can get the magnet close enough to the sensor.

I wanted one of these for my dirtbike but always thought you needed to get one of the more expensive ones for it to work accurately. Now that I know otherwise I'll probably end up ordering one of the Serfas or a Planet Bike 9.0 just to try out.